Cart & Horse Recruitment
How to manage a
process with the
least pain &
NO PAIN, NO GAIN
Is Your Recruitment A CART?
onfused & with unknown costs &
mateurish in the approach to the market
eactive rather than proactive
– If so you are part of the 86% of companies that
initially approach us
Have you got Cart before the Horse?
• Now be honest, you wouldn’t be reading this
if retention & recruitment were not issues
• You’ve probably looked at your structure &
decision making & thought……………..
• Change needs a change champion, are you
that person or can you get to that person?
• To effect change you need a plan +
empowerment & a modest budget
So what is a HORSE in recruitment?
uman Resource thinking as a process function is
replaced by Talent Management - a strategic board
utsourcing & Options are built into your retention &
recruitment policies maximising your choices
outes & Resources to market need to be fully
understood, documented & distributed
kills shortages are a global phenomenon – think
lastic & elegant promoting your brand at all times
So what changes do you need to
• Most are psychological
• Instilling basic principles of brand
management into your most precious
resource - your people - current & future
• Cut out constipated processes that add
nothing but expense & time delay
• Clinically define Talent Management
• Decide who is responsible for what &
In House Or Outsourced?
• Now be honest you’d expect us to bang the drum
for Outsourcing wouldn’t you!
• Being good at process doesn’t mean you are good
• Wanting a fish is not the same as catching a fish!
• The choice quite rightly is yours – it is your
• All we would say is be open minded & consider
the full picture
Are You Hiding Behind HR?
• It is so easy to do - open the door of HR &
throw in a bucket of …….!
• Shut the door & on the way out say you want
the people yesterday but fail to define your
• It happens every day in companies around the
• It isn’t helpful or constructive
A Way Forward With An Old Idea
Hear me out - If it ain’t broke don’t fix it
Most companies will already have it
It might be gathering dust in a bottom draw
It is probably of poor quality
It will undoubtedly need work
In 99% of cases it won’t be being used
OK, What Should Be The Most
Dynamic Tool In Your Business …..
• Job Descriptions !
• But that means I have to justify my decisions & be
• Who can I blame if we can’t meet demand through
Skills shortages or Skills gap?
• This would mean effective vertical & horizontal
• True but it’s a solution, if you want one!
Challenging Questions A Job
Description Can Answer
Add your own to this list
Why is/are the position(s) needed?
What does the role comprise?
What are the reporting channels? (in both
• What are the deliverables?
• What qualities/experience/qualifications are
More JD Questions
• Who is the position open to?
• Have we considered internal candidates?
• Have we got internal buy in as well as sign off
as to why the hiring is necessary?
• Is our “package” competitive?
• Do we have back up paperwork – i.e.
contracts/pension/life assurance/car lease
terms – expenses policy?
How Are We Going To Recruit?
Time frame for recruitment?
Options that are open are……?
We have a budget of……?
XYZ are empowered to …….??
Info to be released to third parties has been
internally approved to include:
legal, advertising & equality checks
• Paperwork is consistent with brand values
• What do recruiters/headhunters need from
• Have I got it all in one place so I can appear
professional in all my communications – it’s
your personal brand as well at the corporate
brand at risk here
• Am I setting realistic time frames for a
If Outsourcing cont/…
• Have I told the agencies how I wish to receive
information – they are not psychic
• Have I been clear on the fees agreed
• Have I committed to 24 hour response times
(why should it take longer)?
• Am I really communicative?
• Are you?
How Am I Supposed To Do All
• Get organised!
• There are plenty of resources available if you
• Here’s an advert for one of our sites
www.job-description.co.uk an online site
• Bespoke tailored support can be purchased
but NOT WITHOUT YOUR INVOLVEMENT
Recruitment Is A Team Game
• Where there is a will there is a way
• Technology helps people like us bring
solutions from around the globe
• We are impotent, unless empowered
• At the root of the problem is poor
communication internally & externally
• The solution lies within
• Skills Provision is a change agent
What Is A Change Agent?
• A Change Agent is defined as a person who leads
change within the organization, by championing the
change, managing and planning its implementation.
• The role can be official or voluntary; must be
representative of the user population, understand
the reasoning behind the change, and help to
communicate the excitement, possibilities, and
details of the change to others within the
For a confidential discussion make a Quick Enquiry now.