• HealthGrades • JHACO’s qualitycheck.org
• the Leapfrog Group • RateMDs.com
• Solucient’s 100 Top Hospitals • DoctorScorecard.com
ratings (now part of Thomson • BCBS Healthcare Facts
Healthcare) • BCBS Healthcare Scoop
• J.D. Power • Mainstreet Medica
• WebMD • MHA
• U.S. News and World • State of Minnesota
Report’s annual “America’s • MPLS/STP Magazine Top Docs
Best Hospital” rankings listing
• CMS’ Hospital Compare site • whatever started yesterday...
• Where do I turn?
• What’s accurate?
• What’s up to date?
• Who can I trust?
• What’s truly relevant to my situation?
• How are ratings determined?
• How do I know what’s valuable information,
and what is crap?
• How is your service reflected by these independent web
• How often do you monitor the ratings and other
information about our organization provided on outside
• Do you have a process in place for monitoring patient
feedback about our organization or physicians that might
be posted on other web sites?
• How do you correct inaccurate or outdated information on
external web sites?
• How well does the quality, pricing or other data on your
web site align with what others sites say?
• Do you know if any patients are coming to you
through these outside advisors, either web sites like
RevolutionHealth or personal patient advisors? If so,
how many? What type of patients?
• Are there patient advocate businesses operating in
your market? if so, who are they? do you know how
they value your organization?
• What services could you provide to help your
patients better navigate their healthcare choices?
• Introduced consumer-driven
• Built a $5 million, 24,000 sq.
ft. medical and fitness center
• Two full-time physicians
• Five nurses
• Dietician, counselor, physical therapists
• Drive-thru pharmacy for free prescription drugs
Employers and Health/Wellness Firms
• What corporations in your market offer on-site
• What opportunities exist for partnering with those
corporations for education, screenings or other
• Do corporations or the health and fitness firms they
work with have accurate and up-to-date information
about our services?
• In what other ways can we engage corporations,
health and wellness firms and other entities that are
influencing employee healthcare decisions?
What does it all mean?
– Outside influencers currently having minimal impact
– True impact of consumer-driven health plans
– Traditional drivers of healthcare decisions still rule
- Thing are changing!