Successfully reported this slideshow.
— A Recruiter’s Guide to —
A Research eBook by:
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved.
Much AdoAbout Millennials
As the Millennial workforce grows, companies will need to
change their recruitment strategies to stay competitive.
Tomorrow’s workforce won’t just include Millennials, it will be dominated by them.
By 2025, it’s projected Millennials will comprise three-fourths of the workforce. (1)
1. Brookings, http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2014/05/millenials-upend-wall-street-corporate-america-winograd-hais
However, every generation makes up the
majority of the workforce at some point.
What makes the Millennial
Age in 2015
15 20 25 30 35 51 55 60 65 7036 40 45 50
The Millennial cohort is
significantly larger than
and has unique career
preferences and ambitions.
92M 61M 77M
Millennials Generation X Baby Boomers
Source: Goldman Sachs http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/pages/millennials/
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 2A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Millennials: They’re on the Move
By the age of 30, Millennials have almost twice as many job
and organizational changes as Gen Xers, and almost three times
as many job changes as the Baby Boomers and Matures.(3)
One of this generation’s notable characteristics is its increased willingness to make career changes.
Eighty-three percent of Millennials are willing to relocate for the right job that provides them
with a higher salary or better advancement opportunities.(2)
2. CareerBuilder & Inavero Survey
3. Psychology Today https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/diverse-and-competitive/201503/are-millennials-more-likely-switch-jobs-and-employers
4. Glassdoor http://www.nasrecruitment.com/uploads/files/glassdoor-50-hr-and-recruiting-stats-2015-113.pdf
41%of Baby Boomers think
workers should stay with
an employer for at least
five years before looking
for a new job.
ONLY13%percent of Millennials
Mean Organizational Changes <24 25-29
Number of Career Moves
0 0.5 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4
Source: Psychology Today
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 3A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
WhyShould Recruiters Care?
Finding ways to better attract and retain Millennials is
crucial for organizational success.
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved.
5. 2015 Millennial Majority Workforce Study, http://www.elance-odesk.com/millennial-majority-workforce | 6. Millennial Branding https://www.tinypulse.com/ultimate-guide-recruiting-retaining-millennials
7. Aon Hewitt http://finance.yahoo.com/news/aon-hewitt-study-reveals-nearly-152300696.html | 8. 2015 Millennial Majority Workforce Study, http://www.elance-odesk.com/millennial-majority-workforce
53%ofhiringmanagerssurveyed said they
have difficulty finding and retaining Millennials.(5)
Approximately one-third of companies lost15%
ormoreof their Millennial employees in 2015. (6)
Millennials will leave if they’re
not satisfied. 43% of Millennials
were actively searching for a new
job in 2015.(7)
Should the rise of a
affect how companies
YESDoes the Millennial Workforce Have Unique Skills?
Hiring and keeping Millennials is important; 68% of hiring managers say
Millennials have skills earlier generations lack. (8)
68%of Hiring Managers
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 4A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
How Can You
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 5A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Forget the Stereotypes
These preferences can shape how you speak to Millennial
job seekers on your career portal and other recruitment
9. Pinpoint Market Research, http://pinpointmarketresearchblog.com/2015/07/13/twenty-somethings-want-tangible-benefits-from-employers-not-a-fun-culture/ | 10. 15th Annual Retirement Survey by the Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies, http://windgatewealthmanagement.
com/millenials-the-diy-generations-take-on-401ks-how-do-you-compare/ | 11. Forbes, http://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2013/12/16/10-ways-millennials-are-creating-the-future-of-work/
What Millennials see as important to their careers might surprise you.
Eighty-eight percent of Millennials say
company stability is a top priority when
This doesn’t mean
they like corporate bureaucracy, but they
aren’t drawn exclusively to start ups, either.
Though Millennials are often labeled as
“entitled”or“self-serving”, 74 percent prefer
to collaborate in small groups. (11)
Millennials came up in a recession—
understandably, their financial
well-being is paramount. It explains
why 67% would be likely to leave
their job for a similar job with a better
retirement package. (10)
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 6A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Focus on What Really
1. 2. 3.
13. LinkedIn, https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/2015/05/what-you-need-to-know-to-successfully-recruit-millennails-infographic
The three factors you should highlight to get a Millennial to accept a job are:
12. LinkedIn, https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/2015/05/what-you-need-to-know-to-successfully-recruit-millennails-infographic
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 7A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Use Social Media—Strategically
Many Millennials want more than a
highlight reel of your last office party.
Instead, they want to know how to
land a job with your company.
Make social media a resource for
job postings, upcoming events,
and industry insight.
of Millennials visit a company’s social media sites
to acquire information about jobs.
-2015 Talent Trends Report
of Millennials surveyed say they chose to join their current
employer in part because of the organization’s sense of purpose.
-Deloitte Millennial Survey 2015
Millennials also care about a
company’s values and its ability to
do good in the world more than any
Attract more candidates by using
social media to offer insight into
this aspect of your company.
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 8A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Offer the RightCandidate Experience
Seventy-eight percent of Millennials say the overall interview experience is very important
to their decision to accept a job offer. (13)
13. LinkedIn, https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/2015/05/what-you-need-to-know-to-successfully-recruit-millennails-infographic | 14. Entrepreneur, http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/234891
15. LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/your-candidate-experience-millennial-friendly-catherine-hess
Millennials want to know they’re
not just a number. Make your
recruitment efforts more
individualized with personal email
communications, social media
interactions, and event invitations.(14)
Make information about company
culture, history, and mission easily
accessible on your career portal.
During the interview process, allow
Millennials to meet other employees.
Millennials value transparency.(15)
Because Millennials are fast-paced
and more likely to apply from
remote locations, video recruiting
software gives Millennials the ability
to interview anywhere, without
exhausting time or money.
Personalized Informative Convenient
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 9A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
How Can You
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 10A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Feedback & Growth =
Effective onboarding can be a launch pad for career success.
Create individualized new hire tasks and provide access to resources to ensure
new hires have a clear sense of how to excel in their position.
16. Elance-oDesk and Millennial Branding: https://www.elance-odesk.com/millennial-majority-workforce | 17. Glassdoor http://www.nasrecruitment.com/uploads/files/glassdoor-50-hr-and-recruiting-stats-2015-113.pdf
18. Glassdoor http://www.nasrecruitment.com/uploads/files/glassdoor-50-hr-and-recruiting-stats-2015-113.pdf
Millennials take their careers seriously and value
honest, frequent feedback from managers.
growth, which Millennials
also highly value.
60% of Millennialsconsider growth opportunities
to be the most attractive job perk.(17)
46% of Millennials left their last job due to lack of
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 11A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
Offer Genuine Work-LifeBalance
More Millennials are working as dual-income families, and they’re working more hours.
This makes achieving a work-life balance challenging.
19. EY Global Survey http://www.ey.com/US/en/About-us/Our-people-and-culture/EY-work-life-challenges-across-generations-global-study | 20. Pinpoint Market Research and Anderson Jones PR http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/8194-benefits-millennials-want.html
21. Ernst & Young’s Global Generation Research http://www.ey.com/US/en/About-us/Our-people-and-culture/EY-study-highlights-work-life-is-harder-worldwide#.VnG5dkorKUl
38% 57% 1/3of U.S. Millennials say they would move
to another country with better parental
said they would leave a job that doesn’t
provide the work-life balance they want.(20)
say that managing their work, family, and
personal responsibilities has become more
difficult in the past five years. Forty-seven
percent are now working more hours—a higher
percentage than Gen Xers and Baby Boomers.(21)
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 12A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
22. Harvard Business Review, https://hbr.org/2015/02/what-millennials-want-from-work-charted-across-the-world | 23. Intelligence Group Studies, http://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2014/01/13/what-millennials-want-in-the-workplace-and-why-you-should-start-giving-it-to-them/
24. Mainstreet.com, https://www.mainstreet.com/article/millennials-want-to-be-the-boss/page/2
If you were able to
choose your manager,
which of the following
would be most
important to you?
response of U.S.
Millennials want to empower others;
40% said it was their biggest motivator to become a leader.(24)
72%of Millennials would like to be
their own boss.
But if they do have to work
for a boss, 79 percent would
want their boss to act as a
coach or mentor.(23)
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 13A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials
How iCIMS Can Help
Connect with iCIMS on social media!
iCIMS is a leading provider of innovative Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) talent acquisition solutions that help businesses
win the war for top talent. Scalable, easy to use, and backed by award-winning customer service, iCIMS enables
organizations to manage their entire talent acquisition lifecycle from building talent pools, to recruiting, to onboarding,
all within a single cloud-based platform that is connected to the largest partner ecosystem of HR technologies in the
industry. Supporting more than 3,200 contracted customers, iCIMS is one of the largest and fastest-growing talent
acquisition solution providers.
© 2016 iCIMS, Inc. All rights reserved. 14A Recruiter’s Guide to Attract & Retain Millennials