Food for thought: Because every baby deserves a first birthday
FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE!!
• Government Agencies
SISTERS United is a community-based initiative with
African American sororities who are working together to
decrease infant mortality in Arkansas.
Four focus areas
SISTERS United ACTIVITIES
• Press Conference to Launch campaign
• Train the Trainer Conference
• PSA & Radio interviews
• 14 Websites – 9 Facebook accounts
• Hosted community-wide safety showers
• Hosted candlelight vigils for babies who
Died before their 1st birthday
STATE OF OHIO
Established a policy
• Every program including subgrantees and
other state agencies: shall adhere to infant
safe sleep standards as endorsed by AAP
• All publications shall adhere to safe sleep
image guidelines established by First Candle
Media Stars criteria
•Model safe sleep in hospital settings
•SIDS Awareness Bill
•Strengthen death scene investigations
•Utilize Child Fatality Review System
INDIANA CHILD CARE
RESOURCE and REFERRAL
• Legislation was passed that all in home licensed providers
receive safe sleep education.
• IACCRR trained over 8,000 providers
Update every year but updates aren’t mandated.
SAFE TO SLEEP
• Provided training to students in high schools and universities
• Worked with university students to develop exhibits to use at
Baby Fairs and other public venues for public education
• Helped foster parents prepare for fostering infants in their
• Trained OB/GYN private practice staff members
• Hosted Baby Showers
• Engaged with local Child Services and other community
agencies in injury prevention training
Launched their Safe Sleep Campaign with a Press
All 66 birthing hospitals in Tennessee signed an
agreement to adopt a hospital safe sleep policy.
First Lady Crissy Haslam promoted the incentive that
every baby would receive a safe sleep board book
purchased by the Tennessee Health Department .
WHAT HAVE OTHERS DONE?
• Safe Sleep Quiz – ABC’s of safe sleep –
• Storytelling – Youtube mother sharing
• Child Fatality Review – feedback to
• Hospital Safe
WHAT HAVE OTHERS DONE?
• Cribs for Kids
• Onesies with Safe Sleep message (ABC)
• Government Advocacy - Awareness Day
or Month in your community
• Safe Sleep Sundays (Pulpit/Vestibule)
• Social Media/BLOG
• Safe Sleep Awards
• Grandparent Power
TURNING A NEGATIVE
INTO A POSITIVE
Halo Sleep Sack
Charlie’s Kids Board Book
Call to Action
• Locate partners in your community
• Use existing resources or adapt those resources to fit
• Be creative and address non-traditional constituents
We all want the same outcome…..
A Breastfed Baby that Sleeps Safely!
Key point…..You Can Make A
Safe To Sleep Public Education Campaign materials
American Academy of Pediatrics Safe Sleep
Cribs for Kids
Ohio Department of Health
Charlie’s Kids Foundation
Tennessee Safe Sleep Campaign
Indiana Child Care Resource and Referral
Barb Himes, IBCLC
Director of Education & Training
Website - www.firstcandle.org
Grief Crisis Hotline - 1-800-221-7437