Head of Year: Miss C Butcher
Assistant Head of Year: Mr T Dunford
• 8C Miss Atienza
• 8H Mr Hooper
• 8E Miss Knight
• 8W Mrs Taylor & Mrs Wall
• 8V Mr Jones
• 8A Miss Sinclair
• 8L Mr Sanderson
Expectations and vision for Y8
• To provide pupils with the relevant skills to achieve their highest
attainment in future GCSE courses
• To encourage enthusiasm and a proactive interest in learning
• Pupils to become responsible and ‘well rounded’ citizens.
• To have aspirations throughout and beyond school, and to work hard to
Y8 ethos “It’s cool to be keen!”
Pupil support outside of year 8 team
• Mrs Rowlands – Deputy Head teacher (Pastoral)
• Mrs Taylor – Home/School Liaison
• Megan Harris – Pastoral Support
• Mr Edwards– Associate Assistant headteacher – in charge of
• Mr Kenny and SEND team – literacy and numeracy intervention
Provide specialist intervention beyond the role of the tutor/HOY
Year 8 Mentoring Support
• Subject specific support in English and Maths
• 1:1 mentoring support with tutors based on the latest and
subsequent reporting points.
• Personal feedback sheets after monitoring points
• HOY mentoring for students who are concerns with regard to
Positive behaviour certificates/ commendations/postcards home
Tutor group rewards
Homework & Attendance raffle
Be prepared to learn!
Uniform – shoes and trousers in particular
Make up and Jewellery
Potential Concerns for Y8
Danger of Y8 being “the lost year”
Extra-curricular @ Chew valley
• GET INVOLVED!
• To stretch and challenge academic and social skills
• The school offers a wide range of extra-curricular activities before,
during and after school.
• For a timetable of these activities please take a look at the school
Success starts at home!
How parents can help
• Insight Portal
• School website
• Reinforce expectations
• Support the school
• Have a routine in place
But, I don’t have any homework set!
• Extra research
• Tidy and organise
• Pack your bag
• Read around.
• Watch TV documentaries
• Be active!
Proactive rather than reactive!