Design for the replacement of
Non Recyclable Materials
Recycling - Process to change waste materials into new products to reduce
waste, energy usage, pollution etc.,
Some materials due to several reasons follow this cycle. Such materials are called
Non Recyclable Materials
Recycling Flow Chart
Non Recycling Flow Chart
Impact of Non Recyclable Materials
Great Pacific Garbage Patch
7,00,000 square kilometres(about twice size of Rajasthan) to more than 1,50,00,000
square kilometres(0.41% to 8.1% of the size of the Pacific Ocean)
*Secondary impacts on health of humans,
Replacement of Non-Recyclable Plastics
* Replacing plastic bottles with biodegradable paper bottles
(made from bamboo)
* An internal micro-thin film provides the liquid / air barrier.
* Replacing plastic plates with plates made of leaves (Palm/Areca)
* Replacement of plastic straws with paper straws.
Quick Fact: Around 40-50% of plastics are recycled in India
Replacement of Non-Recyclable Packaging
Styrofoam/ Expanded Polystyrene – predominantly used as
But it’s highly toxic and non biodegradable, non sustainable.
Replacing using MycoBond
* Made of biodegradable materials
* Made of husks, fungus(mushroom),
Quick Fact: Around 95-98% of Styrofoam is air
Replacement of Aluminium Foil
* Aluminium foils are used to cover food.
* Though Aluminium is highly recyclable, Al foil is not accepted by many recycling centres as
it contaminates the recycling process (due to the food waste attached)
• Replacing Aluminium foil in food industry using parchment paper
•Parchment paper are cellulose-based papers – used as disposable non-stick surface
• It’s compostable and 100% recyclable.
• It is reusable
Replacement of Plastic Bags
Plastic bags have a recycling rate of about 1%,
so it can be considered as non recyclable
Plastic bags can be replaced with bags made of
corn starch based polymer (composites)
They are 100% compostable
It takes same time to compost as that of dry leaf
* Adding addictives like prodegradant concentrates
(PDCs) makes it biodegradable
Coating of Cardboard boxes
Though Cardboard boxes are recyclable, soiled boxes are
not as they contaminate the recycling process.
Coating the cardboard box with non sticky substance makes it
possible to recycle it later.
Using bee wax, soya wax and natural rubber latex as binder -
applied to box
Makes it hydrophobic.
Quick Fact: Irresponsible contamination costs 600 million
Recycle and help conserve the environment!