Very well understood as a website for videos.(owned by Google since
Studies have shown that only about half of YouTube's primary users
bracket, actively go to the site to use it as a search engine.
YouTube website is available in 54 language versions & the interface
of the website is available with localized versions in 61 countries.
Video humanizes your content and is easier to consume.
2nd largest search engine in the world
The „how to‟ video category is the fastest
growing vertical on YouTube
1 hour of video is uploaded every second.
YouTube says that on an average there are
more than 400 tweets per minute containing a
Age group statistics of watching videos
Videos are SEO friendly
Stickiness – Visitors spend an average of two more minutes on websites that host
videos than on sites that don’t. Video helps to increase a website’ quality score too.
A ‘long click’, which leads to more time spent on site, results from higher quality
content, ultimately enhancing user engagement.
Ranking – According to Forrester's, chances of getting a page one listing on Google
increase 53 times* with video because there is still much less competition for video
CTR – A video thumbnail in the SERPs attracts
Videos are Panda friendly
VIDEO REQUIRES A BIGGER EFFORT = LESS LIKELY TO BE SPAMMY
Benefits of Hosting Video
• New incoming links directly from YouTube (even if they
• The generation of new video subscribers to your video
channel (if you have one).
• Great for driving traffic to the site and (hopefully)
converting that traffic
Video Sitemaps for search engines
Using video sitemaps is a recommended way to give us information about your
videos. Submitting a sitemap pushes your video metadata to Google and
reduces the time it takes for us to discover your video.
Benefits of adding sitemap
• Lets the search engines know about the video content
• Tells the search engines what the focus of the video is with the help of title,
descriptions & thumbnails which are required field.
• Keyword rich (not keyword stuffed)
• Use YouTube Keyword Suggestion Tool
• Make the first 27 characters count
• Use the right keywords
• Use “.......” otherwise all the tags would
• Ignore „the‟, „and‟, „it‟, etc.
There is plenty of information you can put
in the YouTube description including calls
to action, text that frames the content or
provides context, links to similar content or
YouTube open & closed captions
The ‘closed’ captioning is that only viewers who choose to activate them
will see them. ‘Open’ captions are visible to all viewers.
BIG reasons why you should use closed captioning
1. Captions and subtitles are rich in
keywords. Unlike the audio/visual
content of a video, captions and
subtitles can be indexed and
understood by search engines, like
any other text. This means that
your videos are more likely to be
found if you use closed captioning
2. Including captions and/or subtitles
in your videos is good practice
because it makes your videos
accessible to people with visual
and hearing impairments.
Some Common terms of YouTube which is to be focused
Optimize your channel for placement in
search, related channels, browse channels
and the feed so you’ll engage current and
potential subscribers across YouTube
Annotations are unique to YouTube which are
clickable text overlays on YouTube videos. It drive
viewers to more content, increase community
actions on your videos, and attract new
Thumbnails act as miniature marketing posters
for your videos – they attract viewers to your
content and compel them to click through to
watch. Create high-quality, custom thumbnails
for your videos that accurately represent the
How YouTube ranks search & how it is strongly influenced
Shorter videos generate more views. More views means more popular videos.
The more popular the video, the more comments and bookmarks are generated.
Comments and bookmarks lead to incoming links. Incoming links lead to the
generation of Google PageRank. Google PageRank results in a higher ranking
video in organic results.
FULL views of video
Number of Comments
Number of Likes
• Engagement /Interaction (views, likes, comments, being
added to playlists, shares etc.)
• How many people use the embed code on their own site
Inbound links to the video
Optimize YouTube Videos for SEO
• Add back links to your website and blog.
• Offer multiple video formats & languages
• Encode your video files with relevant, targeted metadata
• Add Closed Captions! They are indexed by the Search Engines.
• Auto play one of your videos.
YouTube General Tips
• Keep your YouTube Video Under 3 Minutes in Length
• Use your Website Name as your YouTube User Name
• Post the videos to YOUR channel (not your agency)
• Use a keyword rich file name for the video
• Use the description feature!
Use CTAs, captions and annotations (In Video Overlays)
Customise your own landing pages
Make sure video is enabled for all devices (mobile phones, tablets, iOS5 (HTML5)
Use JW Player (WP plugin available) or Wistia. Both provide cross platform support