Goals for the workshop
1. Confidence to begin (or continue!) using
new media in storytime
2. Evaluate Apps & eBooks (appvisory)
3. Traditional storytelling in the digital age
4. Model positive media behaviors
Guiding Principles to Focus on
● Focus on the parent-child relationship
● Recognize what you bring to the interaction
● Be willing to discuss matters that go beyond
your traditional role
● Value passion wherever you find it
Questions to ask yourself
1. For what purpose?
2. For whose benefit?
3. Are we explicit?
4. Is it developmentally appropriate?
iPad as presentation tool
● Welcome slide
● Lyrics (optional)
● Prompts (optional)
● Resource slide (with links; can be uploaded
● Welcome slide
● Import image
● Resource slide
…….then make it your own!
Storytime Practice Assignment
● Digital felt board (or MGOL app)
● Book app or digital book
● Digital music or sounds
● Non-book app (Wee Sing etc)
● Create your own content (30hands etc)
● Screen shots or images
● Remember non-digital tools!
● Children’s Technology Review
● Common Sense Media
● Horn Book
● Kirkus Reviews
● Little eLit (suggested uses)
● School Library Journal
and your personal network….
Evaluating and Choosing Digital Media
● Make intentional decisions
● Explore newly downloaded apps on your own and then
● Look for media that help adults and children write,
read, play, sing and talk TOGETHER
● Consider the 3 C’s: Context, Content, Child
Good Book Apps Have...
● Meaningful interactive elements that add to the story
and are not only for inter-activity’s sake
● A great story with high quality images
● Plain, highly-readable font
● Read-to-me and read-to-myself options
● Settings for turning on/off music and other sound
Good Game/Activity Apps...
● Are fun to play over and over again
● Offer open-ended play
● Encourage creativity
● Strengthen one or more of the early literacy practices
● Are age appropriate
● Have Intuitive way-finding
● Use a clean, uncluttered display