How long will it take?
• 9:00-10:30: New Media whys and whats
• 10:30-10:45: Break (yay!)
• 10:45-12:30: New Media hows
• 12:30-1:30: Lunch (nom nom)
• 1:30-3:00: Hard work & stories
• 3:00-3:15: Break (zzzzzzzzz)
• 3:15-4:30: Storytime formats
Who are you?
• Experience with New Media
What's new media?
• On demand
• Self created
Why do you think we
should consider the
use of new media in
My eagle will ﬁt in this
• When used intentionally and appropriately, technology and
interactive media are effective tools to support learning and
• Intentional use requires early childhood teachers and
administrators to have information and resources regarding the
nature of these tools and the implications of their use with
WHY US? WHY NOW?
is bigger than the
Gutenberg Printing Press.
curate & recommend
content, regardless of format
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF
MEDIA USE BY CHILDREN
YOUNGER THAN 2 YEARS
1999, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) issued a policy
statement addressing media use in children. The purpose of that
statement was to educate parents about the effects that media—
both the amount and the content—may have on children. In one
part of that statement, the AAP recommended that pediatricians
should urge parents to avoid television viewing for children under
the age of two years. The wording of the policy speciﬁcally
discouraged media use in this age group, although it is frequently
misquoted by media outlets as no media exposure in this age group.
who can manipulate
who are manipulated
Apps with Very Young
• Apps based on board books
• Posting lyrics to support parent engagement
• Limit the number of digital elements
• Use media to support parent learning and