Product tracking with barcode is managed by unique serial numbers or product lots in Odoo. Setting up of serial numbers and lots are explained in How to Setup Product Expiry Dates in Odoo? The things to remember while setting product lots are to enable tracking by product lots or serial numbers in Inventory/ Configuration/ Setting and in product form – Inventory/ Tracking.
Product Tracking With Barcode
• Product tracking is managed by unique serial numbers or product lots in Odoo.
Setting up of serial numbers and lots are explained in the our blog
https://www.cybrosys.com/blog/how-setup-product-expiry-dates-in-odoo. The things
to remember while setting product lots are to enable tracking by product lots or
serial numbers in Inventory/ Configuration/ Setting and in product form – Inventory/
• Manage serial numbers and lots with Barcode
Lots and serial numbers can be encoded from all type of transfers such as incoming shipment,
internal moves and outgoing deliveries. First we need to enable product tracking with lots/
Also we need to enable tracking the product by lot/ unique serial number in
the product form. You can refer the blog I mentioned before to set lots/ serial
numbers for products.
• To manage lots and serial numbers with barcode, first open the barcode
interface in the inventory module. Scan the product's barcode from the
interface. If the tracking is enabled for the product,
• Odoo will generate a popup window which helps you scan the lots/ serial
numbers. Inside the popup window scan the lot/ serial number barcode
or enter manually or leave empty. If the field is left empty Odoo will
automatically generate the lot/serial numbers for the product.
• If the product tracking is to tracking by lots. When one code is scanned,
Odoo will increase quantity of the product by one.
• In case of tracking by serial number, when one code is scanned twice
Odoo will not accept the scanned product second time. That is the
barcode should be unique for products.
• Difference between lots and serial numbers
Lots and serial numbers are both used for product tracking with different
behaviour. They are mainly used in Odoo modules – Sales, Purchase and
Lots generally refer to a number of products which are grouped as a pack. They
can be used when you receive or deliver a product in bulk.
• In this case we can easily use the lot number for reporting, quality control or other
information. Lots can be useful for identifying a production fault easily. It is not
recomended to use lots for consumable products like paper blocks, kitchen roll etc
as there is no chance to get them returned as production fault.
• A serial number is assigned to a single product. Unique serial numbers
are commonly assigned to the products which require after sale services
(like Mobile phones, laptops, or any other electronic devices).
• We can use manufacturer's serial number or our own unique serial
number for products depending on the way we manage these
products. Giving serial number on each product is a time consuming
work. So this has to be given only to the products which provide
warranty or after sale services.
Refer this link for more:
Thank You !
Cybrosys Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Neospace, Kinfra Techno Park,
Calicut University P.O.
Kerala, India - 673635.
15, ST Antonys Road,
Forest Gate, London
Cybrosys Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
1st Floor, Thapasya Building,