How to track and analyse project expenditures in odoo
How to Track and Analyze
Project Expenditures in Odoo
• Odoo has well-structured suit to manage projects and tasks
• In the business world, we have to analyze each project's income
• Here we are discussing the same point
• Cost/Revenue analysis on a project in Odoo ERP
• In Odoo, Analytic Accounts are used to sketch all payment transactions based on
• If the end user using Project Management for his custom industry, he can easily track his
related sales & purchase or expense and income using this methodology.
• Generally, Analytic Accounts terms are not highly inscribed inside the accounting.
• It is a very flexible term used in majority sectors inside a company.
• Analytic Accounts are not only used in Project management, But also in several modules
like manufacturing – production management, human resource expenses, administration
• However, we are pointing here its advantages and tracking capacity in Project
• If we enabled Analytic Accounting over project management, we can track its
performance, productivity, profitability, invoicing and time sheets in all manner.
• Through this, the top user can manage and forecast easily the resources and time.
Steps To Get Tracked with Analytical Accounting for Every Project Movements:
+ Ensure Project, Sales, Purchase Modules are installed.
+ Enable Analytic Accounting in Accounting Section.
+ Enable Analytic Accounting for Purchase in Accounting Section.
+ Create Projects.
+ Create Sale Order related to Project's Analytic Account.
+ Create Purchase Orders Related to Project's Analytic Account.
+ Create Expenses Related to Project's Analytic Account.
+ Track through Cost/Revenue Reports.
• Sales-Purchase-Expense-Accounting/Analytic Accounting is the key modules for this
• So ensure these modules are installed in Odoo instance.
• If not, install these modules.
Enable Analytic Accounts:
This is the next step,
Go to Accounting-> Settings-> Tick Analytic Accounts-> Apply Button
• Now the system is enabled with analytic accounts
• Don't forget to enable the same for Purchase in the same settings form
• Now, we have to create a project.
• This is just a basic activity in the project.
• If we enabled the analytic accounts (Step 1), project creation activity automatically create an
• We are creating a project with name “Odoo: Car Rental System” which consists of its own
tasks and general activities.
• Now, an analytic account is auto created with the same name of the project.
See an analytic account is created at the same time, Note that the project has no any debit or
Project Related Sales & Purchase:
• Above, We created the project.
• Now we doing some sales and purchases related to the project with its analytic account.
• We purchasing some products (say car kit) for our rental project.
Note the analytic account mentioned (Odoo: Car Rental System) on the above purchase order for the
We Selling some products/Services (say services) based on our rental project:
• Now, we completed a purchase order (see image 1.5) & sale order (see image 1.6) based on
project (project's analytic account).
• Now we have to check the cost revenue report of the same project.
So navigate to Accounting -> Adviser -> Analytic Accounts -> [search the analytic account by
• We can see its detailed transaction of credit and debits by clicking the above line.
• That process will give a form view like below.
• The super button named “Cost/Revenue” in this form view will give you the detailed track
of the transactions related to this analytic account.
• As mentioned in introduction part, we can also track the project expense also in
• For this purpose, we need to install “Expense” module.
• Then add simply an expense record on the project.
• Here we are creating a flight ticket expense for the project.
Expense - > Create expense -> [Payment Process]
• Now we can check our project tracking sheet through analytic account cost/revenue report.
• There we can see that one more entry “Air Flight (Expense)” other than sales and purchase.
• So this concludes that we can track almost all the incoming & outgoing payments related
to the project with analytic account.
• This is a good feature of Odoo ERP system.
Refer this link for more:
Thank You !
Cybrosys Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Neospace, Kinfra Techno Park,
Calicut University P.O.
Kerala, India - 673635.
15, ST Antonys Road,
Forest Gate, London
Cybrosys Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
1st Floor, Thapasya Building,