Senior 1 Community physio- start up garnt
of 3k (equivalent to RCF or FSF nowdays)
NHS EXEC HSR post doc training award –
National Primary Care Researcher
development award- Oxford Uni
5 Year Career Scientist – Oxford
Grants - ~100
Project and programme grants
Personal Awards-for me and others
Infrastructure grants, Clahrc, Doctoral
Training, NIHR schools, global health.
Grant Boards/ reviewing
Charities- Professional Bodies- MRC-
EPSRC- BBSRC- NIHR +++- DH-
Other countries- Australia- Canada-
~ 50 a year for 30 years= 3,000 approx.
!0 things to do
1. Is it the right competition? Are you in scope? Know
the process and the remit.
2. Is there enough money to do what you want- why do
you want it?
3. Is it an important question to- patients/NHS/funders?
4. Start as part of a team- be realistic about your place in
5. Composition of team MUST have methodologists
6. Do homework, look up previous award holders, panel
7. Think about management/independent oversight/ budget
8. Plain English summary- what does success look like to
9. Peer review prior to submission ++ Dictation notes
remaining in the text of the research proposal e.g.
“Beverley, we need to have a chat about the sample size, I
don’t understand how you got these numbers”
10- Keep trying- but LISTEN to feedback
!0 things NOT to do
1. Out of scope-recycled
2. Over ambitious- nobel prize for 12 months and 35k –
recruit 1,00 in a year- average is one per site per month.
3. Background+++, not enough methods- don’t cut and
paste your thesis
4. Not enough on doability- recruitment evidence-
management- data management
5. Fake partnerships
6. Late on the ‘latest idea’ black boxes –tool kits- CBT-
Vit d- exs
7. Poor/angry response to feedback- if HTA ask
you to change it- change it
8. No methodologists – just all clinical specialists-
9 Badly costed -Greedy funding –
10. So what?
Remember- grant writing is story telling-
frequently has little to do with the reality!
Barriers to clinical research training
• Difficulty with career structure and appointments
• Timing of training within career
• Challenges at interface between training schools/university
• University agenda dominated by educational research, not
• Protection of research time for clinicians
• Shortage of appropriate posts on completion of training.
• Inconsistent quality of research and clinical supervision
National Coordinating Centre for Research Capacity Development www.nccrcd.nhs.uk