Sales & Marketing don't really get on... or do they?
SALES & MARKETING
DON’T REALLY GET ON…
OR DO THEY?
Alignment Between Marketing &
Sales is Potentially the Largest
Opportunity for Improving Business
But Sales & Marketing don’t really get on…. or do they?
Despite the fact that 80% of businesses recognise the benefits of greater alignment between
Sales and Marketing, most (60%) aren’t unifying their divisions.
Multiple recent studies have shown one
specific eye-popping statistic:
Today, on average, 70% of the buying
decision is made before a prospect talks to
In this customer focused reality, sales and
marketing alignment is a necessity if
companies want to provide a memorable and
compelling customer experience.
Sales and Marketing
Alignment is Pivotal
Because your customers need you.
With a sales team running in one direction and a
marketing team playing a different tune, we’re delivering
a broken, disjointed, ineffective and frustrating customer
“Misalignment between Sales and Marketing
technologies and processes costs B2B companies
10% of revenue or more per year.”*
Here’s What Happens When You
Get the STUFF RIGHT
Marketing & Sales communicate with each other and send the same message
to the customer.
Marketing & Sales track the same goals which can therefore be measured which
helps to understand what works, when and why. When the customer is happy,
they buy more, more often and willingly refer.
Superior Service. Increased Sales.
Factors That Affect the
● Lack of communication between sales & marketing teams
● Outdated or inaccurate content, files & materials
● Slow or inexistent communication
● Inconsistent brand and image
● Lack of follow-up
● Untimely and irrelevant interactions
● Attend each other’s meetings
○ Create transparency: Listen to
hear, not to reply. Educate each
other on your differences
● Agree on the targeted buyer
○ Make sure everyone is targeting
their efforts at the same potential
● Define what constitutes a lead
○ Marketing Qualified Leads differ
from Sales Qualified Leads.
Knowing this is essential to react
● Develop shared goals
○ Sales and Marketing exist to make money. But,
they also exist to make customers happy. Get
everyone on the same page
● Align the goals to ROI
○ To track ROI, look at KPIs such as “deals
influenced” or “deals sourced” to connect specific
marketing materials straight to bottom-line
● Make it a top-down commitment
○ Make sure the goal comes from on high within
● Define the sales funnel
○ Marketing and Sales must have a unified picture
of the sales funnel and standard definitions of
each stage in the process
● Plan and develop content together
○ Share the vision, secure buy in and achieve sales
● Ensure that everyone has access to
○ Keep the messages consistent and on brand
● Provide the right types of content for
○ Not everyone processes information in the same
way. Make sure you provide the type of content
that does well with your prospects: web, PDFs,
videos, presentations, etc.
● Multiple touch points
○ Make sure there is a single source of truth.
Marketing and Sales messages need to sing the
● Have and adhere to a follow-up
○ This comes down to agreeing on the
different forms of leads and stages in the
● Don’t forget communication
○ Listen to each other!
● Create a consistent experience
○ The customer wants a simple, straight
forward, unified experience
Consider What the
What Happens When
Marketing & Sales Work
● Companies with good smarketing practices in place
generated 208% more revenue from marketing efforts.
● When sales and marketing teams work together,
companies see 36% higher customer retention and
38% higher sales win rates.
How Can Sales & Marketing
New marketing platforms, such as HubSpot, are great to help automate this process, but companies still struggle to
get them to work properly. It's a common misconception that marketing and sales automation can be set once and
then be forgotten about.
The truth is that your marketing automation platform is only as good as the information that you put into it.
If unqualified leads are being passed to sales, it is up to marketing to correct this. The objective of marketing and sales
alignment is knowing when a process is working and when it isn’t, so you can keep improving your sales and marketing
INBOUND MARKETING is not
a single, one-off project.
It's a long term plan, and our certified inbound professionals build long term relationships with each
and every client that is strengthened by its own success. Find out how we go about this in our
Inbound Marketing Playbook.
Get the Inbound Marketing
We are fully certified HubSpot experts and a HubSpot Certified Agency partner. Our training and support programs
will help you get the most out of HubSpot and lift your marketing automation campaigns to a new level.
Q & A
18-19 Ludgate Hill
0121 296 5275
Henry Wood House
2 Riding House Street
020 3504 5422