What is the story behind this journey?
Why we go global instead of focusing local just like a lot of other VCs?
Startups need to go global early
- Global vision from day one
- Global team from very early stage
- Global expansion from very early stage or even day one
Mobile App, SaaS model, IOT, wearable, Smart whatever,... is very suitable for going
global in early stage.
We all know that companies have ventured abroad only after establishing
themselves at home
Some examples VS what’s happening today
- Johnson & Johnson set up its first foreign subsidiary in Montreal in 1919—33
years after its founding in 1886
- Sony, established in 1946, took 11 years to export its first product to the United
- The Gap, founded in 1969, opened its first overseas store in London in 1987
- Uber was established in 2009, as of August 2016, the service was available in
over 66 countries and 507 cities worldwide!
Companies are being born global today!
- hunt for the planet’s best manufacturing locations. Eg. Taiwan and China for
Hardware. Vietnam, India and China for apparel manufacturing
- scout for tech talent across the globe. Eg. India was one of popular IT
outsourcing center. Other popular area includes Israel, Canada, Taiwan,
Ukraine, Eastern Europe,.etc
- tap investors wherever they may be located. Eg. Crowdfunding, expansion,...etc
- learn to manage operations from a distance
Government resources around the world
- UK, To encourage more investments into early stage companies, the UK
Government runs two schemes, SEIS and EIS, offering investors generous tax
- South Korea's TIPS, match VC money 1:5 (up to 9 with other incentives)
- Taiwan, 1:1 matching grant for R & D and Brand building ...etc
- Singapore, seed grant for startup and actively invest in Accelerators
- Canada, salary reimbursement from 30% to 75%
- Isreal, government match investor in a ratio of 1:6 in form of loan
- Hong Kong, R & D grant, matching investment with VC with incentive to VCs.
- Estonia, e-Residency
- Finland, government match grant with investors’ investment, >1:1
Start global with international Interns
- Internship during long holiday
- Some Universities require students to one semester off for internship.
- Some students choose to take one semester off for internship
- Some universities provides different kind of allowances for internship.
- Some community builders are trying to match interns to startups
- Some startup even run a business on matching interns to startups