Career DayScience, Technology,Engineering & Math Homestead High School October 23, 2012
Who are we?Camilla SDO NASA SDONASA SDO’s The Latest Eye onMascot. the Sun – mostEducating about advanced solarthe Sun & Space observing spacecraftFlight. ever.
What is NASA? National Aeronautics and Space Administration
What do we actually do?AeronauticsHuman Exploration and OperationsScience
The Future?• NASA is designing and building the capabilities to send humans to explore the solar system, working toward a goal of landing humans on Mars. Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Software Engineer, Computer Scientists, Executive Manager, Project Manager and more.
• The International Space Station is fully staffed with a crew of six. Part of the US portion of the station has been designated as a national laboratory, and NASA is committed to using this unique resource for scientific research. Astrophysicist, Astrobiologist, Biologist, Computer Scientist, Geologist, Geophysicist, Engineer, Mathematician, Psychologist, Medical Doctor, Pilot etc.
• Commercial companies are well on their way to providing cargo and crew flights to the ISS, allowing NASA to focus its attention on the next steps into our solar system.
• NASA is researching ways to design and build aircraft that are safer, more fuel-efficient, quieter, and environmentally responsible. Computer Engineer, Software Engineer, Materials Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Executive Manager, Project Manager and more.
• NASA is conducting an unprecedented array of science missions that will seek new knowledge and understanding of Earth, the solar system and the universe. Lots & lots & lots of career opportunities!
Questions?1. How did you decide on this career?2. How much education and training doesyour career require? What should a student bedoing now to make this transition easier?
3. Are there any educational tangibles thatmight not be obvious (e.g. a restaurant managerneeds a command of English to create a menuthat is descriptively appealing)?4. What does a typical day look like to you andwhat responsibilities do you have?5. Explain the progression of your career pathor what a person needs to/should do. Is therean entry level position? Is there potential forgrowth?
6. What is needed in the form of continuingeducation to stay current in your field?7. Student questions or anything else you feelstudents should know or find interesting aboutyour field.
Internships at NASA• NASA Pathways Programs The NASA Pathways IEP is for current students accepted for enrollment in a qualifying educational program. The NASA Pathways IEP provides students enrolled in a variety of educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/studentopps/default.ht m
More Info• What Courses or Clubs Should I enroll in? http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/education/index.cfm ?page=136• NASA Astro-Venture http://astroventure.arc.nasa.gov/teachers/fac t_sheets.html#generic• Engineering Girl http://www.engineergirl.org