Community member Cam Findlay will present some of the outcomes from his last community talk & brainstorm session back in 2012, around how we can build bridges between the different levels of participation in the wider SilverStripe Developer Community.
Following on from this, Cam will present a case study about how SilverStripe CMS was used to successfully overhaul eboss.co.nz - one of New Zealand's largest online architectural specification websites.
Link to the eboss.co.nz case study video vimeo.com/60962401
Participating in the SilverStripe
Communities of Practice
“…groups of people who share a passion for something
they know how to do and who interact regularly to
learn how to do it better”
Lots of useful knowledge and
SilverStripe goodies… all the meetup
talks are here!
Levels of Participation
Building Bridges to Core
• Clear guidelines for core contribution, more
concise, more visible.
• Buddy system/mentors – XP/Pairing?
• Advanced Workshops.
• Employment opportunities for core contributors
or on-call experts.
• Community questions passed to experts, problem
solved and make public.
• Provide examples of high quality commits.
Building Bridges to Actives
• Clearer way to raise bugs - Now on Github!
– Standards for contributing documentation
– quality tutorials on a wider range of topics
– links from 3rd party tutorials to documentation/api
• Support the newcomers.
• Intermediate workshops.
• Meetups (come speak at the next meetup)
• Forums (currently have this, perhaps it could be
Building Bridges to Newcomers.
• Offer SilverStripe introduction workshops.
• Social media promotion, target distinct groups and
promoted capabilities of SilverStripe CMS.
• Promote at technical institutes, perhaps provide guest
speakers from SilverStripe?
• Case studies – what can you do with SilverStripe
• Ease of installation - Composer!
• Create connections with other communities that have
something in common or a need for a good CMS.
Come speak at the next meet up!
Share your knowledge.
Come and have a chat with Sam or
myself during beer time…
Overhauling websites with
Like A BOSS!
Overhauling websites with
• Remove technical debt.
• Consolidate the 2 sites and branding.
• Give architects quick and easy access to
technical information and files.
• Future proof technology to grow the business.
• Lead by example and add value to industry.
• SilverStripe 3.
• Bootstrap CSS Framework.
• Small team of distributed developers.
• Agile Scrum/Lean approach.
• Combination of open-source modules and
• Contributed back new modules as outcome of
How we migrated EBOSS’s content
1. Migrated 2500+ Wordpress articles using
Wordpress-Redux module into the Blog module.
2. The site tree doesn’t like this…
3. Implement ExcludeChildren (hide BlogEntry)
4. Install VersionedGridField module.
5. Automagically adds action buttons to any
Versioned models managed through
Other awesome things on EBOSS built
1. CAD Downloader Tool – Bundle Files.
2. Quickfind navigation – get to anywhere.
3. RESTful API – EBOSS has useful data.
4. Vendor CMS - can update products
5. Mailchimp and Google Custom Search Engine