• The solar system is made up ofthe Sun and all the things thatorbit it.• Our solar system contains theSun, nine planets, and manymoons!What is a solar system?Virtual Tour ofthe Solar System
• Yes, the Sun is a star!• The Sun, like all stars, is a big, hotball of gases.• The Sun is only a medium-sizedstar, but it looks bigger than otherstars because it is the closest toEarth.Is the Sun actually a star?
• The Sun is much larger than Earth. In fact, if theSun was hollow, more than 1,000,000 Earthscould fit inside it!• The Sun is very far from Earth, so it does notseem that large.• It takes 8 minutes for the light from the Sun toreach earth.• We are a good distance from the Sun! If we werecloser Earth would be too hot to live on, and ifwe were farther away Earth would be too cold!What does the Sun have todo with Earth?
• A planet is any of the nine large bodiesthat orbit the Sun.• The planets in order of distance to theSunare, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter,Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, andPluto, Mercury being the closest to theSun and Pluto being the farthest from it.• There are two categories of planets, innerplanets (the four planets closest to theSun) and outer planets (the five planetsfarthest from the Sun).What is a planet?
• All the inner planets are relatively small andmade from solid, rocklike material.Meet the Inner PlanetsMercury:- Closest to theSun- Looks similarto Earth’smoonVenus:- 2nd closest tothe Sun- Cloud covered- Has beenvisited bymany of ourspace probesEarth:- 3rd closest tothe Sun- Only planetwith liquidwater- Our home!Mars:- 4th closest tothe Sun- “Red Planet”because it hasred rocks- Has ice on it
• All of the outer planets, except for Pluto, are madeof gases. Pluto is made of rocks and frozen gas.Meet the Outer PlanetsJupiter:- 5th closest to theSun- The largest planetin our solar system- Has had the giantred spot on it for300 yearsSaturn:- 6th closest tothe Sun- Known forits ringsmade of iceand rockUranus:- 7th closest tothe Sun- Rotates onitsside, “sideways planet”Neptune:- 8th closestto the Sun- Has a greatdark spotsimilar toJupiterPluto:- Farthestfrom theSun- Smallest
True or False: The Sun is a star.a) Trueb) FalseQuestion 1
How many planets are considered“inner planets”?a) 2b) 3c) 4d) 5Question 2
Which planet is also known as the“sideways planet”?a) Mercuryb) Venusc) Saturnd) UranusQuestion 3