Travel policy slide show nov17 final


Published on

Published in: Business, Economy & Finance
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Welcome to the Travel and Business Expense Update on Policy Changes
  • The purpose of this presentation is to highlight the changes to the Travel and business expense policy. We strongly advise you to read the policy in its entirety along with reviewing this presentation.
  • Following is a matrix describing the general types of expenses other than personel for RDC operations.
    expenses can be catagorized into 3 types: bus and hosting, travel and supplies and services
    In this presentation we will focus on providing some understanding of the second section in the matrix|: Travel
    Before we proceed please take a moment and review the second column to get a glimpse at the levels of travel, approval, and purchasing methods that be may be used when incurring travel type expenditures
  • This policy focuses on providing guidance to RDC staff for business travel. Business travel is defined as any travel away from your normal place of employment. It covers all forms of college business travel expenses inclusive of PD travel and expense.
  • RDC has entered into a contract for the provision of travel management services. The contract stipulates that all College business air travel will be arranged by or through the designated service provider. Currently, these arrangements can be made over the phone or via e-mail through our designated travel consultant, or on the web through the service provider’s on-line booking tool. Air travel arranged through the designated travel agent is direct billed to the College’s corporate credit card. If you want to utilize the direct bill services to the College corporate card when booking on-line, you will have to preregister with the agent (over the phone and during work hours)prior to going on-line and booking your airfare; otherwise you have to provide your personal or College purchasing card number at the time of booking. While air travel must be booked through the contracted service provider, accommodation and ground transportation bookings are optional and cannot be direct billed to the College’s corporate credit card.
  • The College recommends that you use a rental or college vehicle whenever you travel out of town on college business. A college vehicle can be booked, when available, through Shipping and Receiving. If a college vehicle is not available you can rent a vehicle. Currently, the college does not have a preferred car rental agency.
    When you choose to use your personal vehicle for in-province business travel, the College reimburses you at a set kilometer rate. This rate is set to include reimbursement for gasoline, portion of insurance, maintenance expenses and general tear and wear. The rate is periodically reviewed to ensure it follows the market changes, particularily the price of fuel.
    Using one’s personal vehicle for out of province travel is discouraged , considering the time and costs associated with the travel time, it is not considered the most economical way of travel. However, if you choose to use your personal vehicle for out of province business travel, the college will reimburse you at the reduced rate equal to 40% of the regular rate, to a maximum of $500. It is important to understand that this reduced rate applies to the total distance traveled, including the use of your vehicle while at the business destination and does not include the cost for meals and accomodation along the way. For example, if you decide to drive your personal vehicle to a business meeting in Kelowna, (1500 km round trip) , you will be reimbursed $240 calculated as 1500km *.40 cents *40% . This and any additional mileage while in Kelowna (your business destination) needs to be documented on a log and submitted with the expense claim in order to be eligible for reimbursement by this method.
    Any milage claim for in province travel that is different from the pre-set allowance amounts will also require acutal tracking of your milage driven.
    For example if you are traveling to Calgary and you need to travel throughout the city to multiple destinations and the total distance travelled will be greater than the city center to city center allowance rate of $116, then you can maintain an actual milage log of the distance travelled and submit with your travel claim

  • Whenever you use your personal vehicle for business use, you need to advise your insurance provider of the nature and frequency of these occurrences. You may be required to pay an additional premium. The College does not cover these expenses, nor does the college’s insurance policy extend to cover personal vehicles. The college’s insurance policy covers rental and college vehicles used within Canada and US. You can obtain a copy of RDC’s insurance certificate prior to your trip from the Purchasing Dept.
    If renting vehicles outside of Canada and the US, we advise you to purchase, additional insurance from the rental agency: the college will reimburse for this expense.
  • Prior to arranging any business or professional development travel , you need to receive appropriate approval. This will involve detailing the purpose, duration and budget for the trip. The new “Travel and/or Professional Development Fund Application ” form is used to obtain this approval. This form has been designed to serve as a request for professional development funding where there is no element of travel as well as a travel application when out of province travel is involved , regardless of the funding. This form is to be used by all employees of the college, regardless of the bargaining unit.
  • Application Form: The new form is a modified PD fund application and in addition to the existing questions, it asks if this activity involves travel. If this activity involves out of province travel this form provides an opportunity for that travel to be pre-approved at the appropriate level. Use one form per activity/purchase or trip and only complete the information relevant to your request. The form also outlines the paper flow in the process of acquiring travel pre-authorization and funding. It is important to note that you must receive a confirmation of approval before you start committing or spending any funds and arranging for travel.
  • Travel in –province , travel out of province and travel out of country will require different levels of approval or pre-approval. Let’s look at the diagram for an understanding of the approval process. Your direct supervisor needs to approve in-province travel and any time away from work. Out-of-province travel needs to be pre-approved by your administrative supervisor . Your administrative supervisor is not always your direct supervisor. An administrative supervisor is an exempt employee in a supervisory role. For example, if you are a faculty member, a fellow faculty member acting as the chair of your dept would be your direct supervisor while your dean is considered your administrative supervisor and approving authority for out of province travel. In this example your dean is also part of senior leadership therefore would also be able to pre-approve your travel outside of Canada. In addition to the travel pre-approval requirements any PD funding request would also need to be reviewed and approved by your respective PD representative or committee.
    Once again in summary: in province travel – this does not require pre-approval however your expense claim needs to be signed by your admin supervisor; out of province and within Canada – pre-approval by administrative supervisor; and out of Canada – pre_approval by administrative supervisor and senior leader: as well as any PD representatives
    Once your approved application is received in Financial services, our staff will notify you of the decision and provide you with a reference number to use on all payment requests, expense claims or Pcard recieipts. If the application for travel is denied it will be returned to applicants by the disapproving authority.
  • Once financial services receives your approved request a reference number will be assigned. This reference number will be e-mailed to you along with other details, such as the amount of the funding approved or any changes to the funding or any other conditions that may have been applied to your request by your approving authorities. Please ensure that all payment claims reference this approval number.
  • If you do not get your out of province travel pre-approved, or if you do not receive approval for your travel, but submitted an expense claim without this approval your claim will be denied. If you have approval and you submit your clain without the approval reference number, your claim may be held up for processing until the claim is corrected . If approval has not been granted and the College has already paid or reimbursed some of your expenses, you may be required to re-pay the college.
    So it is very important to understand that any travel be approved prior to departure and prior to booking any flights, registration or accomodation.
  • While travelling on College business, you may no longer claim per diems for meals. Instead, the College will reimburse your actual meal expense with the presentation of original itemized receipts, to a maximum of $75 per day (inclusive of taxes and a max. 15% gratuity). The cost of any one single meal cannot exceed $45.
    You are allowed to claim meal expenses for any day that you are away on business, if:
    For breakfast, you must leave for the activity before 7;30 or be returning home from your activity after 7:30 am
    For lunch, if you must leave before or return after 1:00 pm
    For dinner, if you must leave before or return after 6:30 pm
    If you are required to stay overnight, you can claim an incidental allowance for each night that you are away.
    When you share expenses (such as meal or shared taxi) with a colleague where there is a reporting relationship, the most senior position in the relationship who is in attendance must pay and claim the expenses.
  • Where an original itemized receipt is not available, is accidently destroyed or misplaced, the claimant must fill out the Lost Receipt Declaration Form.
  • This form is to be used for all expenses in excess of $5.00 that cannot be supported by appropriate receipts. Every attempt should be made to obtain an original or at least a copy of the receipt, as this form is not intended to substitute the regular process for obtaining receipts.
  • Use one form per occurrence. Indicate the vendor name, the date, the amount , and a briefl description of the goods or services purchased. Sign and obtain appropriate approvals and attach to your Expense Claim or Purchasing Card Statement.
  • Expense reimbursement requires the completion of aTravel and Expense Claim and Trip Summary Form. As you submit a claim form for reimbursement please include the approval reference number on the form. List expenses by day and provide within your description such details as the purpose , the staff included and the locations or organizations visited.
    You are required to submit the claim within one month following the event or return date. For the purpose of recording expenses in the proper fiscal period at year end, the one month period may be shorter in order to deliver the claim to Finance by the yearend cutoff.
  • This is a revised former Travel and Expense Claim Form and it now includes a few new sections. This form serves as the summary document for review by your administrative supervisor. . Enter the pre-approved budget (off your pre-approval form) for the easy comparison. Your supervisor may inquire about the variance between the budgeted and actual costs of the trip of this variance is significant Since you may have paid for expenses using your College purchasing card, or payment request, or even previously submitted an expense claim, this summary will list all of these (pre)payments. In addition, use the blue shaded area to claim any expenses that have not been reimbursed yet to date. Quote your trip pre-approval reference number and indicate if this is your final claim for the particular trip/activity. This will indicate to Finance to close the file.
  • You are encouraged to ask any questions that you may have before you start arranging for travel. We can avoid lots of frustration by addressing beforehand any concerns that you may have regarding the application of this Policy. Any claim resulting from an error in interpretation or mistake will be assessed on an individual bases and there is a chance that it may be denied. The final interpretation of the Policy rests with the CFO. Where a consistent pattern or non-compliance over a longer period of time is noticed, appropriate actions will be taken to inform your administrative supervisor and therefore may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
  • Travel policy slide show nov17 final

    1. 1. Travel and Business Expenses Policy Changes
    2. 2. Travel and Related Expenses • Read the Policy in its entirety before proceeding with this tutorial • The tutorial addresses many of the topics, however does not cover everything covered by the Policy • If you have any questions about application of the Policy, contact Financial Services
    4. 4. What is business travel? • Travel: away from your normal place of employment • Business travel: includes all business and PD travel
    5. 5. Travel Management • All air travel for college business and professional development must be booked through designated service provider • Accommodation and ground transportation bookings at travelers’ discretion
    6. 6. Business Use of Personal Vehicle • RDC recommends use of rental or college vehicle for all out of town travel • If personal vehicle must be used within the province, the College reimburses employees at the regular per kilometre rate • If personal vehicle used out of province, the College reimburses at the reduced rate (40% of regular rate) to a maximum of $500 • Mileage log required unless claiming pre-set allowance amount
    7. 7. Insurance • When you use your personal vehicle for business travel you are responsible to arrange for any additional insurance coverage (at your own expense); discuss requirements with your insurance provider • The college insurance covers rental and college vehicles used by EE’s within Canada and US; proof of insurance can be obtained prior to your trip from Purchasing. • If renting vehicles outside of Canada and US, you are advised to purchase additional insurance from rental agency (RDC will reimburse you for that expense)
    8. 8. Travel Pre-approval Process • All College out-of-province travel and an estimate of related expenses must be pre- authorized
    9. 9. Application Form • Travel and/or Professional Development Fund Application • Use one form per activity/purchase/trip • Provide only relevant information • Must receive preapproval before committing or spending any funds • In addition to information currently collected on PD Fund Application, the new form – Identifies activities that involve travel – Provides spot for signatures authorizing travel – Outlines routing (paper flow)
    10. 10. Pre-approval Routing (Paper Flow) Applicant Direct Supervisor (support activity, and travel within the province and time off work) Documented post approval Administrative Supervisor (approve travel out of province within Canada) Documented Pre- approval Senior Leader (approve travel outside Canada) Documented Pre- approval Professional Development Representative / Committee (considers PD requests only) Financial Services (keeps approved applications on file, notifies applicant of the decision and funding and provides ref. #)
    11. 11. Pre-Approval Form and Process The personal information on this form is being collected under the authority of, and will be protected in compliance with, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection Act of Alberta. It will be used for the purpose of determining business travel and Professional Development eligibility and funding. The information will be retained by Human Resources for a period of one (1) year, after which it will be destroyed in a secure manner. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this personal information, please contact Human Resources, Red Deer College, 100 College Blvd., Box 5005, Red Deer, Alberta, T4N 5H5, Telephone: 403. 342.3181. Use one form per activity/trip. Complete only fields that apply to your particular situation. To enable timely processing, ensure that all relevant information is provided. You must have your activity/trip/purchase approved before making arrangements and spending funds. Financial Services will notify you of the decision, reference number where applicable and, in case of approved PD funding, of the amount available to fund this request. You are required to quote the reference number on all invoices/expense claims related to this request. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND AND/OR TRAVEL REQUEST Red Deer College 100 College Blvd Box 5005 Red Deer, Alberta CANADA T4N 5H5 ROUTING FINANCIAL SERVICES USE ONLY DIRECT SUPERVISOR ( FOR IN-PROVINCE TRAVEL AND TIME OF WORK) ADMINISTRATIVE SUPERVISOR (FOR OUT-OF-PROVINCE TRAVEL) RESPECTIVE SENIOR LEADER (FOR TRANSBORDER AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL) PD REPRESENTATIVE/COMMITTEE (FOR PD FUNDING APPLICATIONS) FINANCIAL SERVICES (ALL REQUESTS) REFERENCE #
    12. 12. Approval Reference Number • Approval reference number and its use • What happens if the T&E claim is submitted without the reference number?
    13. 13. Meal Expenses • No per diems for meals • Actual expenses to a maximum daily amount per person • Most senior position(within a reporting relationship) in attendance needs to pay for shared expenses • Need original detailed receipts • Declaration form for missing receipts
    14. 14. Lost Receipt Declaration Form I, , hereby declare the following receipt has been lost, misplaced, accidently destroyed or unobtainable: Vendor name Date of purchase Amount of purchase Description of goods/services purchased I also declare that I have not and will not use this receipt (if found) to claim reimbursement from any other source, or to support any claim for income tax deductions in the future. I understand that failure to comply with these Policies may result in loss of signing authority and purchasing privileges and may result in disciplinary actions up to and including dismissal. Claimant (Print Name) (Signature) (Department) (Date) Approving Authority (Print Name) (Signature)
    15. 15. Lost Receipt Declaration Form Lost Receipt Declaration Form This form is to be used in the rare occasion when an expense (in excess of $5) reimbursed by or charged to the College cannot be supported with the original itemized receipt. The claimant must certify that the original receipt was lost, misplaced, accidentally destroyed or unavailable and the copy could not be obtained. The claimant can only fill out one Form per lost receipt. The Form must be signed, approved and submitted with a Travel and Expense Claim or Purchasing Card Statement in replacement of the missing receipt. The Form is not intended to substitute the regular process for obtaining receipts.
    16. 16. Lost Receipt Declaration Form (cont’d) I, , hereby declare the following receipt has been lost, misplaced, accidently destroyed or unobtainable: Vendor name Date of purchase Amount of purchase Description of goods/services purchased I also declare that I have not and will not use this receipt (if found) to claim reimbursement from any other source, or to support any claim for income tax deductions in the future. I understand that failure to comply with these Policies may result in loss of signing authority and purchasing privileges and may result in disciplinary actions up to and including dismissal. Claimant (Print Name) (Signature) (Department) (Date) Approving Authority (Print Name) (Signature)
    17. 17. Expense Claim • List daily expenses, indicating a purpose of expenses and persons or organizations visited • If claiming travel expenses, include approval reference number • Reconcile travel expenses to the budget • Claim must be submitted within one month following the event or return date, or by June 30 (whichever comes first)
    18. 18. T&E Claim and Trip Summary Form
    19. 19. Oooops! Question • I didn’t know… • I don’t see it that way… • I already incurred an expense… • I have done this before… Answer • Each case will be individually assessed • Definitive interpretation of the Policy rests with Chief Financial Officer • Claimant may be held responsible for the expenses resulting from non- compliance; if RDC already paid for these expenses, the claimant may have to reimburse the College • Consistent pattern of non- compliance will be addressed in a progressive manner
    20. 20. More ??? • If you have any further questions, contact us at • All inquiries involving a specific scenario are best discussed before you make any travel arrangements