It was the first deadly air accident for the 13-year-old carrier -
AirAsia, which has made air travel affordable for tens of millions
of people in fast-growing Southeast Asia.
"Fernandes sounds authentic and credible," said Caroline
Sapriel, managing director of CS&A, which advises companies
on crisis management. "He is looking after the priorities of the
families. He is showing a lot of empathy. He is using many
channels to put that across.“
An activeTwitter user with nearly a million followers, he quickly
took to social media to express shock and sympathy.
"I apologise profusely for what they are going through. I
am the leader of this company and I have to take
responsibility," he said at a televised news conference.
• Social Media and the Death of Traditional Advertising
• Awesome Things Brands Did on Social Media in 2014
• 5 Social Media Marketing Trends for 2015
• Why did social media become so popular?
• How should companies be thinking about it?
History of social media
We live in a hyper-instrumented, hyper-connected
• 6 billion cell phones
• Billion people on the “social graph”
(Facebook, Twitter and other online social networks)
• Reservoir of economic and social influence
– • Viral marketing and word-of-mouth drivenspread of products and
• Big-data is $100 billion industry growing at 10% a year
twice as fast as the software business as a whole
Lay of the land…
It impacts all the things firms care about …
Why should we care?
Web 2.0 gives voice to the consumer.
Decision rights move away from the ivory tower.
From the Cathedral to the Bazaar