International Federation of Red Cross
and Red Crescent Societies
CBHFA: Outreach toolkit targeting Red Cross
CBHFA developed by IFRC in 2000, updated in
18 topics ranging from safe
motherhood, immunization, safe
water, hygiene and
sanitation, malaria, HIV/AIDS, immunization...
Each topic is covered in 4 key docs:
◦ Implementation guide
◦ Facilitator directions/guide
◦ Volunteer manual
◦ Community toolkit
Developed in 2012-2013.
Currently being piloted in 8+ countries.
Targets Red Cross Volunteers (equivalent of
3-day facilitatorvolunteer training.
VolunteersCommunity: Depends on availability
of community members.
Given increased complexity, requires close post-
training supervision of volunteers, especially
during initial stages.
In advance: Need to ensure that referral health
center(s) capable of screening for and treatment
of diabetes, CVD
The 4 key NCDs
(cancer, CVD, chronic lung
◦What are they?
◦The threat of the 4 key NCDs
to personal health.
How the 4 key risk factors
(smoking, excess alcohol
consumption, eating unhealthy food
and lack of exercise) increase the
likelihood of NCDs.
Healthy lifestyle game.
◦ Questions about healthy diet, physical activity,
alcohol and tobacco use.
◦ Community member fills out him/herself.
2. Assisted assessment
◦ Volunteer measures waist circumference, BMI and
◦ Volunteer fills out card and gives to community
◦ Rating indicates if s/he needs to go to health center
for clinical assessment.
3. Clinical assessment
◦ Blood sugar level and cholesterol
◦ Conducted by nurse/doctor.
◦ Form is returned to community member.
◦ If rated at high risk, referred to doctor.
Help community members identify risky
heath behaviors and how to begin to adopt
◦ Steps of behavior change
◦ Focus on the fluctuation on how people
change their behavior.
Support community members in
adopting healthy life style through
behavior change by developing health
goals and a health action plan
◦ Writing health action plan
◦ Healing your body through behavior
◦ Community-based support