MVP then iterate Idea evolution rather than full specification
See more at: http://www.allaboutagile.com/what-is-agile-10-key-principles/#sthash.egbahqlU.dpuf
Hugo Smith, CTO at Broadbandchoices - Improving the Agility of your Business through IT
IMPROVING THE AGILITY OF YOUR
BUSINESS THROUGH IT
What is Agile?
What does Agile mean to you?
• A different way of working
• An enabler
• Changing perceptions
• More engaged
• More aligned
• Delivered quicker
Key Agile Principles
1. Active user involvement is imperative
2. The team must be empowered to make decisions
3. Requirements evolve but the timescale is fixed
4. Capture requirements at a high level; lightweight & visual
5. Develop small, incremental releases and iterate
6. Focus on frequent delivery of products
7. Complete each feature before moving on to the next
8. Apply the 80/20 rule
9. Testing is integrated throughout the project lifecycle – test early and often
10. A collaborative & cooperative approach between all stakeholders is essential -
Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
Process and tools
Dev Tools? Scrum boards? SCRUM is a process?
Continuity and succession requirements?
Follow a plan
Dates are needed! Minimum Viable Product then iterate
Internal or external, there is a commitment / contract
Where we’ve got to at broadbandchoices
Releases took 56 man hours
Just on AWS, but immature
Releasing once a fortnight
Experimenting with 2 week sprints
2 full time QA
1 or 2 AB tests
Product Managers working
Releases take 2 man hours
All on AWS – Blue Green deploys
Releasing 2-5 times a week
No fixed sprints – TDD driven
checking into Master
3 days/week part time QA
3-4 concurrent A/B tests
Product managers working in the
Medical student Foundation year Dr. Specialist trainee Consultant / GP Clinical Leader Retired consultant
Our users’ needs
`Assess learning needs
`Continue medical education & professional development
` Get published
`Measure performance & variation
` Improve services
` Reduce cost
`Keep abreast of news
Serving the entire international clinical community
• The BMJ - 4th most cited general medical journal in the world - is the most read medical journal
in the UK.
• BMJ Learning is available in 16 languages and Best Practice search is enabled for over 60
• 97% of delegates have improved their practice after attending a BMJ Masterclass.
• 96% of job seeking doctors in the UK use BMJ Careers.
• Print advertising read by GPs and hospital doctors in over 200 countries.
• Sponsored CPD modules completed by over 548,000 healthcare professionals per year around
• Over 167,000 doctors and health professionals from more than 100 countries access our
• 81.5% of respondents said that they had changed their medical practice as a result of something
they had learnt from a BMJ Learning module.
• Over 12 events hosted by BMJ each year attended by nearly 5,000 clinicians from 80 countries.