Has anyone been able toreach the core of the earth?How were scientists able to study the earth’s interior?
1. Which is not a layer of the Earth?A. CrustB. MantleC. Outer CoreD. Inner Crust
2. Starting with the outermost layer, what is the order of the Earth’s layers?A. Core - Mantle – Crust – Inner CrustB. Crust - Mantle - Outer Core - Inner CoreC. Outer Mantle - Inner Crust – Inner CoreD. Outer Crust - Inner Core – Outer Mantle
3. The core of the Earth is made up almost completely of which element?A. IronB. GraniteC. SulfurD. Calcium
4. Which layer of the earth is the thickest?A. CoreB. CrustC. MantleD. All of them have the same thickness
5. Which layer of the Earth is liquid?A. CrustB. Outer CoreC. Inner CoreD. Lithosphere
TRUE OR FALSE?F 6.The center of the Earth is made of molten rock.T 7.Most of the Earth’s heat is stored in the mantle.T 8.The outer core is liquid.
TRUE OR FALSE?T 9.Earthquakes occur when heat travels through the mantle and causes tectonic plates to shift.F 10.The thinnest parts of the Earth’s crust are its continents.
TRUE OR FALSE?T 11.Extreme pressure causes the inner core of the Earth to remainT solid. 12.The crust of the Earth is muchT cooler than its other layers. 13.The Earth’s mantle is flexible and shifts under heavy loads.
TRUE OR FALSE?F14.The core is where geologists look for oil, gas, and otherFresources. 15.The crust is separated into two parts: upper and lower crust.
The crust andthe upper layerof the mantletogether makeup a zone ofrigid, brittlerock called theLithosphere..
Theasthenosphereis thesemi-rigid partof the middlemantle thatflows.