Help Wanted: Projections of Jobs and Education Requirements Through 2018
Projections of Jobs and Education Requirements
Anthony P. Carnevale, Nicole Smith, and Jeﬀ Strohl
June 15, 2010
• Forecasting shows there will be a growing disconnect
between types of job openings and number of
Americans qualified for those jobs.
• Student’s choice of major is as important as the
decision to get a Bachelor’s degree.
• The economic value of 171 college majors is linked to
future earnings potential.
• Education is increasingly essential to middle class
• The education level of workers determines which
occupations and industries will be most available
• New jobs forecast millions of workers will be left behind due to
jobs requiring workers with postsecondary education.
• By 2018, 63 percent of all jobs will require at least some
• Employers will need 22 million new workers with
postsecondary degrees, and the United States will fall short by
3 million workers.
• Employers will need 4.7 million workers with postsecondary
• In 2018, 75 percent to 90 percent of the following
jobs will require postsecondary degrees and comprise
40 percent of all jobs:
– Information Services
– Private Education Services
– Government and Public Education Services
– Financial Services
– Professional and Business Services
– Healthcare Services
• Postsecondary education and training determine access to the
• People with only a high school diploma or less are falling out of
the middle class.
• In 1970, only 26 percent of the middle class completed
postsecondary education.Today, 61 percent need it.
• In 1970, only 44% of the upper class completed
postsecondary education.Today, 81% have
• Today’s career pathways are in occupations, not in
• The occupation you prepare for matters more than
your education level; 27 percent of people with
certificates and 31 percent of people with A.A.
degrees earn more than the average B.A. holder.
For more information:
See the full report at: cew.georgetown.edu/helpwanted
Email Us | email@example.com
Follow Us on Twitter | @GeorgetownCEW
Find Us on Facebook | Facebook.com/GeorgetownCEW
Follow Us on LinkedIn | linkedin.com/company/georgetowncew