Accomplish More sustainably
Productivity is maximizing utilization
***Maximize Energy & Attention for good use of time
You are unique !
1. Measure your Energy ( subjectively)
level in each hour
2. Identify BPT – Biological Prime Time
where you have maximum energy
and attention naturally
3. Maintain a simple time log : what
you did each hour
Do this once for a week and do
this every 3 months
1. You will have many tasks – ad hoc, planned, projects
2. They do not vanish if you read this presentation
3. For now , pick up 5 tasks and see if all have same
impact if you do them now .
4. They won’t
Pick 3 high impact tasks for the day, week
Try scheduling them when you have max
Caution : Start with 3 but don’t end with them unless you want to get fired.
Start doing them – simple .Right ?
Here comes Mr.Procastination
High Impact tasks are sometimes
3. Unstructured, ambiguous
5. Sometimes lack purpose
So , we choose the inevitable – Procastinate doing the High Impactful Tasks
Flip the tasks to make them opposite of
reasons for procrastination – make it low
barrier to entry.
( Don’t worry , you will understand it in the next slides)
• Filing Income Tax – Boring
Have your auditors do it . ( Delegate)
Pair with your friend ( Shrink)
• Exercise – Difficult
Choose to do only 5 minutes for 3 times a day . Start with this ( Low Barrier)
Ask your friend to pick you up for the gym ( Social Support)
• Feedback to Team – Difficult, Ambiguous
Get Feedback for yourself first ( opens your mind )
Have it in the Cafeteria or even in a coffee shop ( Makes it interesting )
Split into 3 sessions with themes – lessens cognitive pressure
• Write Blogs – Frustrating
Write it in paper, take picture .( change in context)
Write 3 lines a day ( splits tasks )
• Write down your future self – how he/she would be , as a projection
of current habits .
• Could be scary . Repeat it as and when you become productive
Address the big Elephant – Time Spent in
It kills all productivity measures . It has low
barrier, keeps you engaged with no purpose .
Disconnect from it frequently.
( have you tried setting a 30 letter password for
facebook and remove ‘remember Password’)
Unattended tasks clogs your mind, giving a feeling of not
achieving things and depresses you!
Take a cup of coffee, write down all tasks you have in mind. Well,
all of them !
Do that always !!
Process the tasks
• Can I do it now ? If yes , do it .
• Is it actionable ? No – remove it .
• What is the next step ?
Organize into Buckets
• Can be Delegated ( with less tracking)
• Can wait
• Schedule it
• Break into small steps
Review them often
Read more here
20 second rule – Keep your
distraction at least 20 seconds
away. Create that difficulty.
Habits ( CUE->ACTION->REWARD)
• You open Facebook(Action) when you open the chrome in the
morning (Cue) and you are happy( Reward) seeing some notifications.
• Certain Habits have decreasing trend of rewards and you need to do
more to get the award. Frustration. Keep seeing Facebook more to
get the same happiness. Not sustainable.
• You do slow breathing (Action) when there is a traffic signal(Cue) and
feel more relaxed ( reward)
• Don’t Multi task – straight .
• Multi task keeps you happy , busy, but less accomplished
• At least , choose less cognitive tasks as candidate for Multi-tasking
• Single task – gives good fulfillment and firepower to accomplish
Observe Breath for 10
minutes a day. Slows down
response to impulses
• Eat less Processed foods – they release energy soon and we crash after
• Eat 3/4th of your capacity, more energy to Brain than to Digestive system
• More water – 24% better metabolism, can think better
• Coffee – borrows energy from later in the day ( Adenosine
receptor).Choose the timing.
• Coffee – U need to drink more to get that same high.
LAST TWO – floor under you
• Create Night time ritual before sleep
• Avoid devices 30 minutes before sleep
•Large number of small sacrifices required to be
productive over time
•Keep the changes small to start with
• Take Breaks – even from Productivity !
• Happiness Drives Productivity
• Recount things you are grateful – Often !
• Scan for positives
• Social Support
• Divide and Conquer
• Create Happiness and Accomplishments journal