1. Digital Access• Everyone should have fair access to the internet no matter what their background.• Excluding individuals inhibits our growth as digital citizens.
Examples• Those persons at or below the poverty line should have equal access to the internet.• Just because youre poor doesnt mean you cant have access to technology.
2. Digital Commerce• Technology users need to learn how to be responsible consumers on the internet.• Illegal downloading, pornography and gambling are in conflict with our duty to be responsible citizens.
Examples• Do not buy illegal or pirated goods on the internet.• Stay away from things such as pornography and gambling on the internet.
3. Digital Communication• Technology has revolutionized the way we communicate with one another.• We have the ability to instantly message anyone over the internet.• At the same time we have to be responsible when using the internet for communication.
Examples• You cannot go on the internet and cause harm to other users.• Cyber bullying is one example of how the internet is misused.
4. Digital Literacy• As new technology is created, learners have to learn how to use it quickly and efficiently.• Those who have a limited understanding of technology are at a disadvantage.
Examples• Videoconferencing and online sharing spaces are being used in many businesses today.• Business, medicine and military are good examples of how technology is being used efficiently (eg: quick information and communication).
5. Digital Etiquette• Many users have to learn how to appropriately use technology.• Everyone must be taught how to be responsible digital citizens.
Examples• Much like cell phone etiquette, there are certain standards that should be followed when using technology.• Do not have a disregard for other users.
6. Digital Law• Every action has a consequence.• This is especially true on the internet.• People have to be aware of the crimes that can be committed on the internet.
Examples• Anyone who works or play online must be aware of:• Hacking• Downloading illegal music• Plagiarizing• Trojan Horses/Viruses/Worm• Spam• Stealing a persons identity
7. Digital Rights andResponsibilities• There is a basic set of rights extended to every individual, as granted to us in the Constitution.• This is no different as a digital citizen.
Examples• We have a right to:• Privacy• Freedom of Speech• We have the responsibility of:• Helping other users• Showing how to use technology in a responsible manner• Making others aware of their rights
8. Digital Health and Wellness• There are a variety of physical and psychological issues in the new technological world.• Users have to be taught the dangers of using technology.
9. Digital Security• As digital citizens, we have to protect ourselves.• In our homes we lock our doors/windows and put fire alarms on the ceiling to better protect ourselves.• It is important to do the same thing with our technological devices.
Examples• Anti-spyware• Anti-virus• Backups of data• Surge control