• What is this report about?
• In this report I will discuss…..
• What is an asteroid?
• A brief description of an asteroid
• What is a NEO?
• A brief description of a NEO
• What information will you need to find
• Chances of hitting the Earth, damage it will do if it does
• Where will you find this information?
• Internet, newspapers, journals, resource materials etc
Main Section - For
• Are there any recent reports that an asteroid will crash?
When will it hit, how big is it? See pg1 of the resource material
• Does it matter what angle it comes in at? Use the internet to
find out 30 degrees!
• Is there any relationship between the size of an asteroid
and the size of the crater and therefore devastation it
causes? In excel use the table on pg2 of the resource material to
make a table and graph spot the trends
• How big was the KT boundary asteroid? The one that wiped
out the dinosaurs. What happened to them?
• What would happen if a large asteroid hit the Earth?
What sequence of events would occur?
• Remember to explain each piece of evidence you use then
discuss how reliable it is
Main section - against
• What reasons are there for not expecting an asteroid to
collide with the Earth?
• Is there conclusive proof that an asteroid caused the
extinction of the dinosaurs?
• Copy out the 2 tables on pg3 of the resource material
into an excel sheet. Make it 1 big table instead of 2 and
create some different graphs from it. Put them into your
• Look for trends and comment on them. Use the Torino
scale to point out how slim the chances of collision are.
• Put a copy of the Torino scale into your report explain
what it is and how reliable it is.
• Answer the question! Are asteroids a
threat to us?
• Refer to the evidence you have put in your
report when making you argument.
• You must explain WHY you think this?
• WHAT brought you to this conclusion?
• References/Bibliography – at least 8
different. Don’t forget the OCR stimulus material