MARKETING COMMUNICATION ANALYSIS OF
• Prior to 1983 Frozen food industry in
Pakistan , was primarily restricted to three
Local ICP brands.
– Polka (1970) -- Igloo (1974) --Hico (1952)
Value Share (PKR in
• Numerous small unbranded ice-cream
manufactures sold hand held ice-cream.
• Few ice-cream shops and hotels/restaurants. 50000
• Raw material used was mainly powdered
• Plant and machinery, refrigerated trucks and 20000
freezers were all imported.
• Ice cream industry in Pakistan is growing
• Problems do exists in distribution network.
• Size of the current market is around Rs 15
Till Sep Yr 2011
THE ROLE OF AN MNC
Market Share in percentages
• In 1995 Unilever/ Walls
changed the norms of retailing
by handing out freezers for free.
• Ice cream has to be sold in
specially designed freezers.
• These freezers are more
expensive as they have eutectic
• Due to Walls by mid 2005, per
person consumption increased
from 0.2 liter per person in early
2000 to 0.4 liter in2008.
Till Sep Yr 2011
INTRODUCTION OF COMPANY
Engro Foods Limited was officially launched as subsidiary of Engro Corp
• Engro foods Products:
Olpers, Owsum ,Tarang ,Omor'e,Dairy Umang ,Olfrute
the Company has established state-of-the-art processing units in Sukkur and
Sahiwal, along with an ice cream production facility in Sahiwal.
Engro plan to operate in rice processing plant.
Al Safa a fast growing and established Halal meat brand ventured by Engro.
Engro Foods is now venturing into North American market starting from
Halal Foods category.
Engro Foods Canada Ltd. with a subsidiary Engro Foods USA, LLC
Vision of Engro foods:
Elevating Consumer Delight
• Walls’ is a UK based company and owned by Unilever
• With advent of Omore Walls market share declined from 70% to 60% but
sales have increased by almost 70% due to category expansion.
• Walls ice-cream began its marketing with two distributors from Lahore in
April 1995, and then in Karachi.
• Walls appointed distributors for exclusive geographical zones.
• The retailer’s job is to purchase stock, pay the electricity bills and keep
the freezer clean.
• Walls had a total of 30,000 retail outlets in the country.
• The identification of the retail outlet is the job of Walls sales force.
• They have an in-house criteria based on which they pick a retail outlet.
• Walls provides both glass top and hard top freezers
• Owned by Pakistan Fruit Juice Co. [Pvt.] Ltd., since 1958 (1st Ice cream
• Acclaimed to be purely [100%] made up of milk
• Favorite at Punjab side.
• Less sales force and low publicity WITH still a huge loyal customer base
• The ice-cream plant, at the time of acquisition, had an installed capacity of
80 liters which is now 4.5 million liters, with 8000 company owned
• Previously The shops were provided with especially made ice boxes
• Most of the ice-cream would be sold on trikes,
• They placed a few freezers in the retail outlets in Lahore.
• They set up a cold store
• They would would deliver directly to the retail outlets through their trucks.
• Hico Market share is 10%.
Manufactured by Pakistan Diary Products [Pvt.] Ltd., since 1974
Operates from Karachi with wide distribution networks in Sind and Baluchistan
Their positioning factor is; Quality ice cream with unmatched flavors.
Igloo is providing ice cream to its consumers through three different channels;
tricycles, retail outlets & igloo parlors.
They focus on distributing the ice-cream in Karachi and Sindh themselves, whereas
they have a distributor who handles distribution in Baluchistan. They own seven, 40
12 vehicles are used for delivery from the Hyderabad depot while the remaining 33
vans are used to supply Karachi.
The bulk of their sales are generated from Karachi and they claim that they hold a
40% market share in the city.
The production capacity of Igloo Ice Cream is about 2400 liters/hour .
Low market share holdings.
Set up 1981 in Kot Lakhpat, Lahore as a family owned business.
Yummy Ice Cream prepared pure dairy ice cream from milk fat.
In 1997, Yummy filed a suit in high court against Walls, They won the case.
They tried to launch the product in Karachi in 1999-2000 but withdrew due
to logistical issues
They have a depot in Multan and in Islamabad where their own 40 ft.
The goods are then taken to the shops by YMPL owned, cold chain vans
and sales persons. Goods are stocked in YMPL owned freezers at retail
The retailer sells at a 17% commission.
Its production capacity is 10 million litres per annum.
The marketing strategy of YMPL is to focus on those stores where they
give less discounts
• Premium Quality Ice cream with Swiss roots
• Targeting ‘A’ class at Urban areas
Strong presence worldwide
Premium payers of Ice cream are again its
target market !
• An Italian ice cream Company
• Targeting upper class sections of Pakistan at
Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.
LOCAL ICE CREAM PARLORS-NO
COMPETITION FROM THEM
Peshawari Ice Cream
Rajoo Ice Cream
Baloch Ice Cream
Ice Burg, etc…
Distribution of Omore
• Omore is providing freezers and maintenance to the
retailer, plus a commission for carrying stock and
providing outlet related tools; signage, gondolas, and
window graphics & they own 20,000 eutectic freezers.
• They hired a third party, a logistics company, to set up
a cold store point in Lahore and Islamabad.
• These points will be used to stock ice-cream from the
• They have now divided the country into six districts
and cover 130 towns.
• 90% of their distribution is through the indirect model.
• Lahore & Islamabad is handled through direct model.
• Distributors invest in cold stores and vehicles
Distribution of Omore
• Direct model for Omore:
– Vehicles and drivers were of the third party, the order booker and
delivery person were Engro employees.
– The order booker took the orders from retail outlets and fed the data
into the supply chain system.
– A load sheet was generated according to the routes and the vehicles
were loaded by the third party.
– Before departure the vehicle was physically checked by the Engro
– He was also responsible for collecting money from the retail outlets
• Karachi Model ,Indirect :
– The vehicles, loaders and the warehouse are owned by a third party
logistics company while the sales team and order takers are distributor
– They also sell their products directly to consumers using their own
Omor'e PRODUCT RANGE
Evergreen Cones 30 – 100ml
Evergreen Cups 100ml
Teens Cones 110ml
Evergreen Sticks 57 – 95 ml
Multi serve Tubs 800 –
1000ml and 1500ml
• Multi serve Bricks 450ml,
8ooml and 900ml
• KIDS sticks, cups and ices
• Indulgence Sticks 800ml
• Indulgence Tubs 800ml
• Omor'e positioning is around fun and
• Omor'e aims to create happiness in life, while
making every moment enjoyable and fun
• Omore is all about fun because ice-cream is
the single most food that provokes emotions.
• BRAND STRATEGY:
• To provide a quality ice-cream and more choice
– Take home
THE TWO LAUNCHES
• For Omore IMC is across all medium it uses.
• Omore does communication development, and fundamental brand
• Fist marketing campaign of Lahore launch objective was to build
• Omore achieved 80% awareness in 1 years of communication.
• 1st they develop communication that is the message to be sent that is the
• Then select medium where the target market would be available.
• Message stays the same in all vehicles Omore uses.
• Then Omore decides up upon the budget required to complete campaign
• Omore just don’t react to competitors blindly.
• Omore wants to make people fall in love with the brand.
• Art of happiness communication is in every communication that is sent out
• Omore had cold chain available and wanted to keep
• Objective of the campaign was to publicize the brand
launch, establish tagline “Art of happiness
• Delivered this brand essence through : air, water and land.
• Engro spent around Rs 200 million on marketing expenses.
• The current top of mind awareness is 11%.
• In just a few weeks, of Launch Omore made sales of Rs10
million on volumes of 76,000 liters.
• Their Awareness campaign includes:
2) Decoration of City in collaboration with PHA
3) TV Ads, Sponsoring Cooking Shows
5) TV Bloopers, Art of Happiness
6) Search planes Confetti
• Physical disability’ for Omore to laucch in Karachi
• It takes 5-6 months to distribute refrigerators among retailers and
by the time summer will be over.
• In Karachi, Traders would not want to keep the ice cream stock
during the lean winter sales season.
• Moreover there was no TV channel catering to specific cities, so
TVCs had to be run all over Country .
Omore was launched in Karachi in spring of 2011, with a “conquer
Karachi” advertising strategy
• Involved television, radio, activation, ambient and digital working
• Content integration was used to announce this launch.
• The campaign theme was “Karachi ka dil khushio se fill’’.
OMORE BILLBOARD AND
• In Karachi omore billboard were deliberately placed
above the Wall's mango cone billboards
• Omore billboards are placed at all strategic location
• Streamers on roads
• Branding on Gantries
• Branding of retailers shops.
• Miniatures of Famous places in Karachi such as
mausoleum of Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah at
various roundabouts around the city.
• ALL COMMUNICATED THE SINGLE MESSAGE OF
FUN AND HAPPINESS.
• PINK & ORANGE COLOR VISIBILITY
• Sea view carnival:
– Was a family affair inviting kids and their families to enjoy a fun
fulfilled day with Omore rides and games.
– This was announced through a billboard and a TVC,which had Sahir
Lodhi as its host announcing this carnival.
– This 1 week event took place 3 weeks after commencement of
distribution and thus almost 1.5 weeks after ATL advertising.
• Basant festival:
– Omore also conducted Basant festival in Punjab to celebrate the
commencement of Basant season.
OTHER ATL AND BTL
• OMORE has conveyed their message of happiness, joy, fun and pleasure
through their Print ads in all major newspapers and magazines, food
magazines across country.
• Colorful packaging with product picture with name along with nutrition
indigents and contact information
Brochures and booklets
• Brochures and booklets were distributed outside the famous supermarkets
at the time of launching
Posters and leaflets
• Product promotion posters were placed outside the stores to create
awareness. At the time of launching leaflets were showered from aircraft in
different areas of cities.
OTHER ATL AND BTL
Point of purchase displays
• OMORE placed their carts outside all the major
malls/ marts and grocery stores at the time of
launching to do the point of purchase display.
• Jingle and music is so strong that people
recognize OMORE with immediately. Especially
its first TVC jingle had been very famous.
• Sampling was done by OMORE at the time of
launch in Karachi in all major shopping Malls.
Frooze stick was sampled in all major mall for
just Rs 10 at low price than regular price to
• Omore has also been present on Radio on all
• City FM89 were giving away a guitar and an
amplifier in sponsorship with Omore in The
Breakfast Show with Khalid .
• Omore should create a website for its customers
and prospect Suppliers and other stakeholders, as
social page does not provide much information.
• Omore keeps No exact database of Consumers,
just uses brand trackers to monitor customers
• Omore should keep a database of customers
according to their buying habits.
• Also data of major customers such as shopping
malls, hotels, schools, etc should be kept !
Omore practice rigorous IMC in all its
communication and the message of fun and
happiness is constantly promoted in all
communication that Omore does!!!