Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '08 1
Talk at Dikmen Lodge
Ankara 6 March 2008
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '082
Online: Key Concepts
• Modern, Postmodern, “Most-Modern” Times…
• “Globalisation” and “Global Village”
• Business at the Village complex or complicated
• Revolution called “İnformation Technology” (IT)?
• Global Economy uses Technology for consumption
• Sustainable Growth or sustainable life on earth?
• Dychotomies of Global Village vs Kemalism!
• Education but how? Morin’s Prescription for future
• References cited
• Author’s CV (Resume)
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '083
• After Renessance all arts became modern
• After WW2 they have become postmodern
• Nowadays we pass to “most-modern” stage
• We don’t understand what happens.Keep hearing
“Anything goes” and “everything happens!”
• We watch the Globe on Screen and accept it
• Any and most changes taken as
• Change is a prerequisite of developmet but
• All changes ara not necessarily development
• Tyes. Time for decision! but who will decide?
Modern: Postmodern, Mostmodern !
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '084
Globalisation and Global Villlage
• Spaceship called Earth was always a globe
Thru Globalization it becomes “Global Village”
• Bounds, restrictions. costums are being lifted,
Goods, humans, ideas freely circulata-almost
Every one can talk to eveyone else on earth
• “ The end of the world es we know it. Future?
• İnformation society will end all conflict and start
the peace and order for globe…We’re told.
• We want and have to believe. No option.
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '085
E’ ben semplice: tutto e complicato:
“Just Complicated” –Commedia dell’ Arte.
Selections from the other side of Medallion:
Life in the village is getting harder, tougher.
• Villagers become alienated from the Globe
• Cleavage yawns wider between haves and nots
• Nation states erode; national interests grow
• Consumption technology consumes the Globe.
• The global surounds the village qeueing for Visa
• “İnformation Society” built by “Globalised Media”
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '086
Global Trends in IT:
Processes of Change in Education and Culture
+ Rising + — Falling —
• Media Education
• Celebrities Virtues
• Rights Tasks
• Technology Sciences
• İndividual Social
• Power Justice There are Others…
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '087
Consumption Economy and Technology
• Affluent consumer societies using high technologies
deplete and exhausts the Globe.
• Media, employing technology , globalize “free market” and
presents international capital as “globalisation!”
• Globalisation process serving the capitalist interests
was a “Gross Disappointment” (Stiglitz,Nobel)
• Developed World (Business) using Media and high tech,
hide the hardl facts of the W o r l d C l o c k.
• Wje are advised solutions are in the teknology.
• Meantime we are happy playing with technological toys.
• That villages become global is a worldwide illusion.
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '088
What is Technology?
• From Technos + logos >>> Technology
Technology <=> Materials + Know-how
Energy input Tools devices
• Neither good nor bad; process of production:
Technology convers materials and energies.
• Cost and benefit depends on purpose / policy
• İn Agriculture and Industry it was production
• Gobalisation use technology for consumption.
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '089
Sustainability of Growth or Life ?
• Big Powers (G8) strive for economic groqwth
• Habitat meetings stand for life and survival !
• “Global Village” ought to choose one:
Wealth or Well being (Survival)
• Media stands for wealth, science for Life
• Teknology can serve both! Q : Which one?
• Right and responsibility rest on mankino!
• Q: Who, What, How, When, Where ?
• Do Mankind have a common mind, purpose?
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0810
Dichotomies of the Global Village
Atatürk’s Valid Premises
• İndividual - Society
• War - Peace
• Man -Women
• Material or Moral
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0811
What Brand of Education ?
• İnstead learn and do
Learning by doing
• Not everything , whatever
Teach it well from pre
school for life long
• Don’t teach answers
Teach valid questions
• Relations rather than
• Chaos rather than
• Teach society, exisence and
virtue of “know thyself”
Star Model valid for all levels
Programmesr do differ !
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0812
(Concept : Tylor 1871, Model :Güvenç 1972)
• Culture/ Civilisation
Concepts of Anthropology
• Members of society create
and learn culture through
• Culturre in turn greate man
• İnteraction by education
• Progress by education
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0813
Intersection of Culture Ball
How everything is attached to everything else?
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0814
Premises for the Future Education
By Edgar Morin ve Poet Yunus Emre
• Search for biased info and eliminate them
• Develop those that are rational and valid
• Get acquainted with existence, environment
• Our globe may be unique in the cosmos.
• Prepare for a future unknown.
• Purpose : Question, reflect and comprehend
• First Priority: “Know thyself”
• Yunus Emre “Sciençe is to know thyself’!”
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0815
References Cited in the Presentation
• Aristoteles,Politics, vııı. 2
• D’Holbach, Système de la
• Hartmann, N. Die Neue
Wege der Ontologie,
• Locke, An Essay on...
• Magee, B. Story of
• Philosophy 2000.
• Güvenç. B. A-B-C of
• Morin, E. For the Future .
• Phenix, Philosophies of
• Turner, G.F. “Design for a
• Tylor, E. Primitive Culture.
• Wallerstein, I. The End of
World as we know it.2000.
• Greenspan A. The Age of
Güvenç Talk at Dikmen, '0816
Bozkurt Güvenç ( A Resume)
• Mimar, insanbilimci, eğitimci. Hacettepe'nin kuruluşunda görev aldı.
• Temel Bilimler Yüksek Okulu, Nüfus Etütleri ve Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsünde
kurucu üye olarak çalıştı: nsan ve Kültür.İ
• Wilson bursuyla ABD'de, Japon Vakfının bursuyla Tokyo Üniversitesi’nde
araştırmalar yaptı: Japon Kültürü!
• 1969'da doçent, 1977'de profesör, 1993'te emekli oldu.
• Türk Sosyal Bilimler Derneği Başkanlığı, UNESCO Türkiye Milli
Komisyonu üyeliği, Başbakanlık Kültür Müsteşarlığı ve Cumhurbaşkanlık
danışmanlığı gibi görevlerde bulundu.
• Dördü yabancı dillere çevrilmiş 32 kadar kitabı, beş çevrisi, yüzü aşkın
araştırma, bildiri ve makalesi yayımlandı.
• Türk Kimli i’ğ nin İngilizce özeti “Öteki” 2006 yılinda yayımlandı.
• TÜBA şeref üyesi olan Güvenç, Yeditepe Üniversitesinde ders
veriyor, bazı süreli dergi ve yayınlara denemeler yazıyor.