Teach the business applications of Facebook to your business communication students.
To obtain the script that accompanies this presentation, go to http://www.slideshare.net/Bovee/teaching-facebook-script
How to Build a Personal Brand
1. Learn about your audience
2. Determine a personal branding strategy
3. Decide the most appropriate privacy settings
4. Make the profile complete
5. Import contacts and expand your network
6. Regularly update your status
7. Join a group or start a group or a page
8. Join or start an event in your area
9. Provide a link to your profile page
10.Bring in content to your social networks, including
What Can You Do on Facebook?
1. Post your status to a select group only
2. Include friends in your status
3. Create a private chat group
4. Schedule the time of your status updates
5. Increase the font size for better readability
6. Chat in a separate window
7. Download entire photo albums
8. Track friend request
9. Remove all ads.
10. Synchronize profile pictures and cell phone contacts
11. Disappear from chat
12. Use chat without being on Facebook
13. Avoid posting embarrassing statuses
14. Check what your friends “Like”
15. Manage your friend list
16. Get weekly birthday reminders9
What Are the Ways Facebook Can Be
Used for Business and the Professions?
1. Post professional or business casual photos.
2. Obtain a Facebook vanity URL.
3. Add your Facebok URL to your email signature.
4. Post business updates on your wall.
5. Share useful articles and links related to business.
6. Combine Facebook with other social media tools.
7. Use it as a travel tool.
8. Research prospects before meeting or contacting them.
9. To find more connections, upload your contacts.
10. Expand your network by using “Find Friends.”
11. Look for mutual contacts on your contacts’ friends lists.
12. Find experts in your field.
13. Market your products.
14. Share survey or research data .
15. Suggest friends to clients and colleagues.
16. Start a group or business page.
17. Post upcoming events.
18. Join network, industry, and alumni groups.
19. Use search to find groups and fan pages.
What Trend and Search Services Are
Available for Facebook?
2. It’s Trending
5. “Like” Button
6. Facebook’s Social
Update to this presentation:
Today, August 6, 2013, Facebook made a major
announcement about it News Feed. Read more here:
How Can You Update Facebook from Outside Facebook?
1. Update Facebook from Firebox
2. Update Facebook from Twitter.
3. Update Facebook from Text Messages (SMS or MMS)
4. Update Facebook by E-Mail
5. Update Facebook from Status Update Services
6. Update Facebook from an Instant Messenger
My Observations about Facebook
1. Not using Facebook is now a political statement.
2. The majority of people who leave Facebook come back.
3. It’s really easy to annoy people on Facebook.
4. Famous people use Facebook.
5. People like Facebook as a narrative.
6. Facebook profile can be erased but never deleted.
How Should Facebook Be Integrated
into a Textbook and Used in Class?
All textbook examples and illustrations of
Facebook shown in this presentation were
taken directly from Bovee & Thill’s business
For a rich array of resources for teaching social media and
electronic communication, including Facebook, go to Business
Communication Headline News, look under “Categories”
in the left-hand column, and select the topics in which you’re
For teaching tips and techniques, often about
social media and electronic communication,
including Facebook, go to Bovee & Thill’s blog:
For more than 175 PowerPoint slideshows,
many dealing with social media and electronic
communication, go to Real-Time Updates and
select “Instructor Media.”
Watch business communication videos on
Bovee and Thill's Video Channel on YouTube.
To find the channel, go to www.youtube.com
and search for "Bovee and Thill."
Courtland L. Bovee
Or contact us on the web at:
Slides 3-6. Hubspot Blog. "The Ultimate List: 100+ Facebook Statistics [Infographics]."
Accessed March 22, 2011. http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/6128/The-
Ultimate-List-100-Facebook-Statistics-Infographics.aspx and Mashable. "Are We Too
Obsessed With Facebook?" Accessed March 22, 2011.
Slide 9. Ynetnews.com. "21 Things You Could Do on Facebook." Accessed March 22,
Slides 15. e 16. Gigaom. "32 Ways to Use Facebook for Business." Accessed March 22,
Slides 20-21. Mashable. “Killer Facebook Fan Pages: 5 Inspiring Case Studies.”
Accessed March 2, 2011. http://mashable.com/2009/06/16/killer-facebook-fan-pages.
Slide 23. Mashable. How to Update Facebook from Outside Facebook.” Accessed March
22, 2011. http://mashable.com/2010/08/18/facebook-search-services.
Slide 24. Mashable. “How to Update Facebook.” Accessed March 22, 2011.