7 Steps for Online Publishers to Get Started with AI
7 Steps for Publishers to Get
Started with AI
In the old days of publishing, your competitive advantage was based upon a mix
of the great stories you produced and the distribution system you established.
The old distribution model was cost-intensive - trucks, paper stands, delivery
Today, it’s all about the content - how relevant is it to your audience? Are you able to engage
your audience and keep them coming back?
● UpOut is an event guide and membership program for adventurous locals.
● Each month, members get complimentary tickets to over 200 events and access to sold-out shows.
● Wanted to send personalized emails to individual users - at scale.
● Segmentation alone couldn’t power this level of automation
● Curating content and sending out manual campaigns was too time
consuming as market expanded.
● Found that AI was a really good fit to help scale the business and save
time + money
● Half a million users
● Machine Learning to classify interests, locality, optimal
timings for newsletters.
● People who love music, wine, theater
● Recommendations for content similar to what they like.
● 560K Users Segmented
Step 4: Get your content right
Ensure each individual message is focused on their interests.
Step 5: Get your timing right
Deliver your message at the time your users are mostly likely
Step 6: Communicate on
the right Channel
Make sure your users get the right content on the right
Step 7: Create a virtuous cycle of
Deliver great content
...to the right audience
...in the right channel
...at the right time
Use insights to learn
behaviors & habits
The 7 Steps to Getting Started with AI
1. Clarify your objectives for AI
2. Start understanding your users by gathering data about
their behavior and interests
3. Use machine learning to determine who to engage with
4. Figure out what content to send to users
5. Get your timing right
6. Communicate on the right channel
7. Use insights to create a virtuous cycle of engagement
Want to learn more about
Boomtrain? Get in touch: