1. Preparation for design workshop
Books Discovered Once Again
Idunn Sem | EngageLab | Stiftelsen Arkivet
Kristiansand | 20.05.2015
2. • how to promote the project activities for the general and professional
• how to open the network between Czech and Norway professionals
• first ideas, how to realize the virtual exhibition and web presentation
mapping the history of the documents stolen during WWII
• first ideas about the seminars for general audience
• promotional activities of the project
Preparation for design workshop
3. Preparation for design workshop
BOOKS DISCOVERED ONCE AGAIN MILESTONES
WORKSHOP 1 PRAHA
• Division of Labor
FIRST VERSION OF PROJECT WEBSITE
NL PROVIDES EXAMPLES OF DATA
• Both technical refs and introduction to cataloging practices
WORKSHOP 2 NORWAY
• Revisit project web site & social media experiments and practice
• Revisit internal information flow
• Design workshop promotion
• Research status
• Design workshop Virtual Museum
DEADLINE BODY OF KNOWLEDGE FOR VIRTUAL MUSEUM (NL)
FIRST VERSION OF VIRTUAL MUSEUM (NO)
WORKSHOP 3 NORWAY
VIRTUAL MUSEUM (No) TESTED
VIRTUAL MUSEUM (No) REDESIGNED (CONTENT + INTERFACE)
WORKSHOP 3 PRAHA
VIRTUAL MUSEUM TEXTS TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH
VIRTUAL MUSEUM TEXTS PUBLISHED
FIRST HALF OF MARCH
PROJECT WEB SITE / VIRTUAL EXHIBIT SUMMARY
WORKSHOP 1, 9 & 10 FEBRUARY, PRAHA
• The National Library is responsible for the Project Website and has the
last call. Stiftelsen Arkivet provide consultancy.
• The Project Website is targeting both EEA, as well as professional and
• Content is provided by the National Library. Stiftelsen Arkivet provide
• The Project Website should work well across platforms
• The Project Website should be available in both English , and Czeck
• Dynamic content (blog) will be mirrored in English, and Czech. Social
media use (Facebook) will be limited to postings on the NL facebook
page, and then only in Czech. In the Norwegian project website we will
may make use of English dynamic content (blog) and social media in a
hybride of english/norwegian.
• Everyone should chip in with good web sites and & styles references
ahead of Workshop 2. In general we aim for a contemporary style
based om Helvetica /Helvetica Neue + black/white/gray/one fresh
color. NL has, for various reasons, already finalised its logo and style
ahead of the workshop. The consequence of this is that SA can not be
limited to the style chose solely by NL.
• The project website needs to include a menulink at top level to the
Virtual Exhibit (see sketch).
• The project website needs to emphasise “why” this is important and
revisit its term “Interesting Facts” to better represent its content – blog
that aims to make the project transparent both in regards to the
research (history) and its practice (catalogisation).
• In addition to the largest social media community in Check Republic –
Facebook, NL will experiment with including Twitter in order to target
the professional community. Thomas will be responsible for the
English only Books Discovered Once Again account and
experimentation on Twitter.
• Stiftelsen Arkivet is responsible for the Virtual Exhibit and has the last
• The Virtual Exhibit is targeting the general public.
• Content is provided by Stiftelsen Arkivet. The National Library provides
body of knowledge about the collection and phenomena
• The Virtual Exhibit should work well across platforms
• The Virtual Exhibit should be available in both English and Norwegian.
5. Preparation for design workshop
Books discovered once again
• Catalogue the collection
• Research (phenomena /law)
6. Preparation for design workshop
Stiftelsen Arkivets Outcomes
• promote the project activities for the general and
• “It should be interesting, cool, fancy and fresh”
• open the network between Czech and Norway
• Extend our own, and the general publics, knowledge of
confiscation as phenomena
• Project is situated in the established field of knowledge
“sencorship” at SA, but we want to extend our
knowledge to include international aspects
• Explore virtual exhibit as means for communicating
• Learn from and collaborate with another institution
7. Preparation for design workshop
Virtual Exhibit? Prioritize!
1.a) Novel in regards to the format “virtual exhibit” (cool, fancy and fresh)?
1.b) Traditional in regards to what visitors might expect?
2.a) Should primarily trigger interest?
2.b)Should primarily share knowledge?
3.a) … about the phenomena “confiscation” of books during 2nd ww.?
3.b) … about the ongoing project as a cataloguing project?
3.c) … about the ongoing project as research in progress?
4.a) All information is quality assured?
4.b) Information can be not conclusive – invite for reflection?
5. Robust – technical solution should last for
a) … 3 years?
b) … 5 years?
c) … 10 years?
Other aims that needs to be highlighted?
e.g. Reach professionals and general public through “viral” communication?
• new way of communicating suitable for sharing on social media
• new finding/new aspects/surprises the audience
e.g. Emphasize Czeck /Norwegian comparisons –similarities/dissimilarities?
e.g. Virtual exhibit should be media rich and make use of display rather than demand extensive reading
9. Preparation for design workshop
macro level stories
• The phenomena confiscated books. (Does the concepts “confiscation”, “censorship” and “plundering” map the different
types of books in our 12.000 collection?)
• Milestones related to the story of the collection up until todays ongoing cataloging project? (timeline)
• Milestones related to the story of confiscation in Norway? (timeline)
• Why did the collection of confiscated books during 2nd ww end up in Check republic?
• What happened to confiscated books after 2nd ww? Comparative analysis Norway /Check history of books.
• Similarities/dissimilarities between books and other fields of culture (movies, music, art)?
• Interesting findings from the ongoing research
• Overview of the 12.000 books (types, origin)
micro level stories
• Are there cases of internationally known books confiscated because of their content both in Norway and found in the
collection? Anti nazi ideology? Freemasonic books?
• Particular interesting examples of
• People (e.g. Josef Sheybal)
• Groups (librarians, freemasons)
• Institutions (Rjukan library, Freemasonic librarys)
• The Books discovered once again project is an interesting example of 2nd ww history in the making – little research
has been don on this topice and we are just in the beginning of a longer process. We are able to document some
findings, but perhaps mostly make hypothesis, and trigger debate in the professional community.
• Documenting the archival process –criteria of selection, cleaning, harvesting, cataloging, digitalizing, communicating…