A Beginner’s GuidetoDirect Mail and EmailList ResearchBob McCarthyMcCarthy & King MarketingMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Can you find mea good mailing list?But what is a good mailing list?McCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Mailing list realityMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Two Types of Lists1. Your House List2. Everything ElseLists you can buy, rent or build yourselfMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
To buy, rent or buildMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643Buying Lists• Not always available• Appealing from a cost standpoint• Hygiene is expensiveRenting Lists• Perfect for testing• Seems expensive with repeat mailings• No need to worry about hygieneBuilding Lists• More control• How much time do you have?• What about hygiene?
What we’ll cover …• How lists are created• The list business• A 5-step process1. The customer profile2. Researching lists3. Reviewing individual lists4. Ordering lists5. Evaluating listsMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
How lists are createdCompiled Lists (Demographic data)• Business -• Yellow pages• DBAs• Corporate filings• Business directories• Consumer –• White pages• Census data• Licensing data• Voting data• SurveysMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
The list businessMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Creating a customer profile• Snapshot of your potential customer• Demographics• Psychographics (behavior)• Business vs. Consumer customer profile• You may need multiple profiles• Write it downMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Business Customer ProfileDemographics• Industry SIC• Company size – employees, sales volume• Contact person – C-suite, owner, manager, VP, lower titles• Location – zip, region, state, nationalBehavior• Subscribers to industry trade journals• Members of industry trade group• Attendees to industry trade shows and conferences• Buyers of similar products (by mail, online)McCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Consumer Customer ProfileDemographics• Gender, age, income• Home ownership• Family size, ages• Profession• Pets• Political party affiliationBehavior• Subscriptions• Hobbies• Clubs• Charities• Mail order/online purchasesMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Customer Profile ChallengeMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643How would you create a Customer Profile for thesesituations?• Example 1 – you are selling point-of-sale (POS) systemsto restaurants.• Example 2 – you are selling financial planning services toconsumers.• Example 3 – you are selling assisted living housing topotential residents.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.McCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643Does this sound familiar?• You’ve created your Customer Profile• You’ve contacted a list company• You’ve received an estimated list quantity• It’s too high for your budget• You adjust your Customer Profile to bring your numbersdown.Having too many names is a good thing.
Researching listsStart a list of list candidates• SRDS Mailing List Directory• Directory of Mailing Lists• NextMark• Contact a list broker and/or list compiler• Be inventive• Directory of Associations• Ask trade publishersMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Reviewing individual listsStudy each list for potential match to Customer Profile• View list data cards• Use selects to drill down• Determine total universe sizeMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Mailing List DatacardMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643
Evaluating listsMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643Testing your mailing lists• Why list testing is the most affordable option• List testing does not mean pre-mail telephone calls• Testing is not a hygiene question• Beware of hotline names• Use tracking codes or dedicated landing pages
Evaluating listsMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643Direct Response Metrics• Response Rate• Qualified Response Rate• Order Rate• Cost per Response/Qualified Response/Order• Rollout Quantity – you need more names
List deliverabilityMcCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643• All lists are dirty – expect undeliverables• Most lists guarantee about 92% deliverability• which leaves you with 8% undeliverable• several times higher than your response rate• (which is difficult to explain to clients)But …• Deliverability doesn’t mean response• Dirty lists can produce high response
McCarthyandKing.com 508-473-8643Thank youBob McCarthyMcCarthy & King Marketing