Challenger brand aims
– We needed a marketing approach that yields high
growth momentum and punches hard against
large, but boring, competitors with huge budgets
Being a ‘Challenger’ means?
– Become a light house; not all things to all people
• This is not a focus group led process!
– Changing the category decision making criteria in
– Overcommitting to ideas
– Becoming the category thought leader
How we did it…
Internal workshops – 4+ days – who are WE?
– What do we believe?
– What is our personality and tone of voice?
– What is our philosophy around our product or service?
– What is our RALLY CRY??
Effortless and easy.
It really does work…
• Your mission: the FIRST thought in your category
• Humans function without thinking – rational
messages don’t build long term
• ‘Why’ not ‘What’ strategy
• Who are you? What is your passion as a team?
• Use this to build your lighthouse
• Overcommit & puncture the autopilot
• DON’T BE SO BORING!