Programtitle at the radioconferanse Radiodays Europe "Radio in the mobile: Golden opportunities?"
Case study on NRKs approach to radio applications on mobile phone by Leif-Kjartan Bjørsvik, Head of Digital radio.
NRK radio on mobile phones
Leif-Kjartan Bjørsvik, Head of Digital radio,
Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK)
Why develop this service?
• Being where the audiences are
• Being present at all media plattforms. Staying in
tune wit changing media consumption
• Reaching younger audiences/consumers
• Increasing media consumption on mobile phones
• NRK started working on the project in February
• Develop ourselves?
• Cooperation/alliances with other broadcasters?
• Purchasing a finshed product?
• Descision in November 2009
• Launch 14. January 2010
• First broadcaster in Scandinavia with apps for both
iPhone, Nokia and Android
• Radio merging with nrk.no, weather services, trafic
• New services in the P3-app
• No 1 in iTunes 11 hours afther launch
• No 1 for over a week
• NRK radio: 54.500 downloads
• P3: 31.680 downloads
• Total: 86.180 downloads
• Listening via streaming has increased dramatically
over the last 3-4 months
• During the previous two weeks there has been
almost as many users on streaming as on our
internet radio (70.000 and 80.000 users on a weekly
• Streaming service has been started more often than
the internet radio player (500 000 vs 400 000).
• Sound quality
• Streaming stability
• Navigating within the webpages used in the app
• Statistics and analysis
• Symbian 5 (Nokia)
• Consider Windows
• Important to be where the audiences are
• NRK radio apps on mobile phones is a sucsess!
• Supplement to traditional broadcasting
• Improve marketing
• Consider more apps for other plattforms – based on
user behavior and demands