Handheld Data Collection Software – What You Should Know
This is an introduction for someone looking to start using handheld mobile devices to collect data.
1. BizSpeed has experience delivering mobile applications for over 10 years as of 2010. We provide handheld data collection software for: Proof of Delivery, Pickup, Inspections, Field service, Asset tracking, inventory .
2. Handheld Data Collection Definition - Using a mobile device that fits in your hand to capture data in an electronic form
3. Typical handheld data collection applications: Surveys, Inspections, Field service , Asset tracking, Inventory audits, Proof of Delivery, Pickup and Delivery (courier)
4. Two types of Applications: 1) Paper to electronic forms which is good for replacing paper for documentation, such as inspections 2) Line of Business (LOB) which are Tailored to specific business processes.
5. Need to determine your needs first:
a. Mobile forms authoring or dedicated Line of Business package?
b. Wireless or batch?
c. Dispatch integration?
d. Backend integration?
e. Device – rugged, GPS, barcode scanner, camera, printer?
f. App updates - manual or automatic?
6. Mobile Forms Authoring:
a. Best for turning paper forms into electronic
b. Should NOT require detailed programming
d. Utility meter installation
e. Site surveys
f. Operator rounds
g. Safety inspections
h. goRoam walk through for automating forms for handheld data collection. Forms have sections->Sections have questions->Questions have attributes:
iii. Radio button
vii. Dropdown list
7. Line of Business Apps:
a. Have specific logic such as invoicing, proof of delivery or inventory
b. Usually need automated integration into back office systems such as accounting, order entry, warehouse inventory or dispatch.
c. Must confirm that mobile apps can connect to these existing systems.
8. goRoam Proof of Delivery mobile example:
a. Driver logs ons
b. Starts trip
c. Receives route and orders
d. Completes delivery for each order
e. Receives customer signature and prints receipt
f. Order is sent automatically to central office for invoicing
9. Other questions for selecting handheld data collection software:
a. Do I need mobile forms software or a Line of Business App?
b. Can I use a standard mobile app package or do I have to custom build the software?
c. How does the mobile software integrate with my other applications?
d. How long does it take to install the mobile app?
e. What is required for support – the users are in the field, not here with my IT staff?
f. Does the mobile software need a network connection or does it work in store-and-forward mode, automatically detecting network changes?
g. What happens when I need to make changes to the mobile application – users are in the field so how do changes get sent to them?