"The Old Mill & Blacksmith Shop in Bakersville, CT"
Join historian, preservationist and photographer William Hosley on an adventure of discovery as we revisit the Old Mill and Blacksmith Shop in Bakersville, two of Connecticut's most renowned historic landmarks. The story of the site begins in 1812 with Scott Baker’s first tannery building. Powered by water from a man-made reservoir on the hillside above, the tannery evolved into an agrarian age industrial complex that met many of the manufacturing and mechanical needs of the community. The buildings served many purposes over many years and became famous after World War II as George Warren Jones continued to operate the historic blacksmith shop – one of the last of its kind in operation in New England . In 1859, Scott Baker’s tannery was replaced by a large three-story mill building erected by his son John Scott Baker. Most memorably, George Jones developed the upper floor of the Old Mill into a Dance Hall – which for a generation was the social center of the town – featuring plays, visiting itinerant entertainers, political rallies, Christmas parties and more. This documentary includes interviews and recollections by family members, including Allyn Sedgwick who worked along side his grandfather in the blacksmith shop during the late 1930s and early 40s.
This is a short version trailer for a feature length program that includes oral history video clips.
For bookings or additional information contact William Hosley -
email@example.com or the New Hartford Historical Society
Hosley and his consulting firm Terra Firma Northeast produces economical multi-media programs and marketing campaigns for historic preservation and to promote and educate about historic resources