• Big Data can yield surprising information…
• …Big Data in itself has no special value…
…unless there is a purpose in using it
• What questions can big data help to answer?
• Many products and techniques to extract value
• Until now, transport is not a very “big” domain
• Potential transport value in non-transport data
• So which Big Data can give us transport value?
Where is mobility going?
• Connected and automated vehicles
• Connected travellers
• Smart city mobility
• Demand-responsive & shared transport
• Smart logistics
• MaaS - combining many of these
Sources of Big Data for Mobility
• Vehicle sensors
• Sensors in the infrastructure
• Internet of (moving) Things
• Users’ mobile devices
• Trip and journey planners
• Social media
• Associated systems e.g. credit card transactions
• MaaS will depend on big data handling
– Broker gathers demand data, requests supply services
– Customers’ journey plans = view into the future
– Transport service fulfilment needs huge data
processing & analysis
• BDE toolbox in the future
– Who will be the customers?
– Who will be the owners/operators?
– What is the long-term business plan?