We often talk about making and meeting goals. But what exactly defines a goal anyway?
A goal is an objective that you first determine and then try to accomplish. A goal can be small, like finally throwing out all your mismatched socks, or large, like saving to buy a home.
Making and achieving goals is important, but the process can be difficult.
It’s sometimes hard to know what goals you should make and what exact steps you should use to achieve them.
To begin with, your goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic, and Time-bound. Using SMART as a guideline helps you create goals that are both feasible and structured.
Next, work through the following 7 clear steps that will help you establish and achieve your goals
Decide what you wantDetermine what exactly it is you want to achieve. Having a clear and detailed goal in mind makes plotting the course to it much easier.
2) Work out the conflictFigure out what’s standing in between you and your goal. Then decide on a course of action to move past this conflict and towards your goal.
3) Visualize the goalEnvisioning what meeting your goal will look and feel like can help you stay motivated, especially during the difficult portions of your journey.
4) Put your difficulties in perspective with your goalThe hurdles you’ll have to overcome to meet your goal may seem intimidating. When compared to what you’ll gain from meeting your goal, however, these difficulties may seem less overwhelming.
5) Be just as aware of the road to achieving your goals as you are of the goals themselves.Don’t just focus only on the goal; stay aware of the journey towards the goal as well to keep from veering off course.
6) Always ask yourself, “Is this really important? What’s MORE important?”Reminding yourself of the importance of your goal can help you stay motivated and help you from being distracted by other, less important, things.
7) Always remember that achieving your goals takes discipline and courage.Achieving goals doesn’t magically happen: it takes a commitment to bravely overcome the difficulties that may try and prevent you from meeting your goal.
Want to know more about setting and fulfilling goals? Want a guide to help you find and meet your goals?
Contact Training Pirates for information on team training and personal coaching.