HR PRACTICES IN IBM INDIA
IBM IN INDIA
• IBM manufactures and sells computer hardware and software, and
offers infrastructure, hosting and consulting services in areas
ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology.
• IBM has been present in India since 1992.
• The diversity and breadth of the entire IBM portfolio of research,
consulting, solutions, services, systems and software, uniquely
distinguishes IBM India from other companies in the industry.
BENEFITS BY IBM
IBM offers a variety of programs to give
employees a valuable total compensation
package. Some programs will apply to every
employee, every year, while others are designed
to recognize individuals for very specific
What it is
Who gets it
Regular pay; your "annual salary"
Annual "bonus" depending on
All non-incentive plan employees
company, group and individual
are eligible; actual pay will vary
based on performance of the
individual and his/her unit
For sales employees, portion of total
Sales employees and executives on
compensation varies on specific sales
incentive and commission programs
goals and objectives
Recipients are granted the "option" to
Program is very limited and focuses
buy stock at a locked in price
on retention by awarding options to
key employees in critical job
Various individual and group awards
designed to recognize very specific and depending on the nature of the
All employees are eligible
award and any relevant restrictions
FLEXIBLE BENEFIT PLAN
• The Flexible benefit Plan is a significant component of Total
Compensation allowing the employee the flexibility of
planning their compensation.
• This Benefit Plan lets the employee design their own
package which best meets their individual and unique
• The FBP covers benefits such as:
Leave Travel Allowance (LTA)
Conveyance Allowance or Fuel expense and Vehicle
Medical Expense Reimbursement
• IBM provides a range of health benefit options so that
employees can design personalized coverage that meets
their personal or family needs.
• They are eligible for all health benefit programs beginning
with first day of employment eg Group term medical
insurance, life insurance etc.
CAREER AT IBM
The employees of IBM who have access to On Demand Workplace,
have access to a variety of websites and tools to effectively manage
career and build expertise, which includes:
E-Learning - IBM's central warehouse of all on-line courses that
are offered by IBM's professional communities. Includes
universal access to thousands of internal e-learning modules.
Career sites and tools - IBM's career sites and tools enable
employees to identify opportunities, construct a plan of action for
building skills and mark their progress as they advance along their
Academic Learning Assistance Program - Known as ALAP,
this program provides assistance to obtain additional external
education that employees need to stay current with IBM's
business strategies and goals.
• This "first of its kind" Centre that offers IBM employees a
complement of programs in one location, including child care, afterschool care and summer camps.
• The centre supports a wide range of children between age groups 3
months to 12 years.
• IBMers will receive priority to enroll their children in the centre’s
programs, discounted tuition rates & convenient time scheduling to
accommodate IBM working parents.
• This centre has been designed as a place where young children will
enjoy extraordinary childhood experiences, while IBM parents gain a
partner to help them balance the demands of work and family.
Principles of work life balance
Flexibility while balancing work and personal needs
Employees must be treated as individuals
Ongoing performance and contribution must be there
• A former IBM employee Kathi Cooper served as the lead
plaintiff in a class action suit brought on behalf of 250000
current and former IBM workers.
• The suit argued that IBM’s cash balance pension plan was
discriminatory because it allowed younger workers to accrue
benefits at a faster rate than older ones.
IBM India wins HR excellence award
• The award is in recognition of the overall
effectiveness of HR and people management
practices at IBM, contributing to the needs of
business, profession, employees, industry and the