• Whats is this Gate-?? Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering – Initially used to screen the Mtech,ME and PhD aspirants and now it has been extensively used to screen Government sector aspirants. Scholarship is paid during studies., student can easily afford his needs.As for as my views, Gate can be looked in 2 different aspects. Entry in to higher studies i.e Mtech/ME/PhD/JRF/RA in one of the best technology institutes in the country. Entry in to PSUs , Govt companies or Research Organizations.
No of attempts-No such restrictions. All Gate cleared students will get Scholarship from MHRD i.e 8000/m no matter in which he/she takes admission for GATE. Gate clear- In the sense one who scores more than or equal to the cut off marks decided by IITs/MHRD. i.e if cut off for gate-2012 is 25 marks for general. That means one who scores 25 or more , He/Hshe will be Gate cleared student. Gate score is valued for 2 years.
Participate in cutting edge research – exposure to universities that are shaping the new frontiers of science and technology. The best faculty interaction, there is; you will work with some of the finest brains in India who will guide and motivate you to higher goals. Excellent opportunities to pursue higher goals such as serving India and giving back to society. You can work with government organizations such as DRDL, ISRO, ECIL and BEL,SAMEER ,BHEL etc. Be a part of legacy that has shaped modern India. Right from Narayan Murthy to many others who have contributed significantly to the country.
• Importance Of Gate- an aid for higher studies-It pays you 8000/-per month Open the floodGATE to a glorious career in the corporate world, research or the government sector”. Fulltime PhD IIT’s MtechGAT NIT’s ME Part time E State JRF Institutes
PhD: Doctor of Philosophy Scholarship-18,000/month for 1st 2 years and 20,000 fornext 2 years.• Basically the study of problems in particular topics-depends on interest of candidate which leads to new research and which will be used for like hood of mankind.• Usually 3 years of study, can be extended for 1 more year.• PhD is basically working on real-time problems ,mainly faced by Defense ( Navy, Air force, Military),DRDO,ISRO labs etc.• Can carryout research funded by Govt or private agency.
Good opportunities to works as a faculty/research in institutions. Can avail opportunity to carryout Post Doc in overseas. Can work with our own passion. PhD from any IIT is highly valued everywhere. Study is very narrowed over here, i.e study on only particular topic. All IITs and premier colleges will provide Dual Degree(Mtech+PhD).This is may be the good option.
Full Time -2 yearsM.Tech RA** Part Time -3 years** PA** RA-Research Associate. PA-Project Associate. ** May vary as per institution norms.
• Mtech :Master Of Technology Almost 50% theoretical study and 50% practical Total-4 semesters; First 2 semester-theoretical and last 2 semester-project Leads to study of particular interested field from your specialization. It can offer you a platform for PhD Best option for faculty/Research positions in Institutions and R&D centers. Enhanced options for research and job opportunities once you complete your post graduation. All IITs and NIITS and other INSTITUTE’s
• RA-Research Associate. Academic research position. Offered by research institutes or Govt labs like CSIR,BARC etc. He/she needs to assist the laborotories of faculty under whom he assigned. 3 years of Durations. Needs to research under principle supervisor 9000/month or may vary(usually higher sallary) , may vary depends up on institution and labs. Usually RA will work on projects funded by industries,defenses Labs etc, Hands on experience on research that is really boost the career, in both higher studies and Jobs. http://www.ircc.iitb.ac.in/IRCC- Webpage/RecruitmentGenerateAdvertisement.jsp?advcirno=E- 53/P(12)09-10 visit this, u will understand the importance better.
• PA-Project Associate As same as RA, but change is that, PA’s are hired on particular funded project and they have to work on that. Pay or scholarship is decided by funder or Institution. All IITs,NITs, labs like CSIR,DRDO Labd,ISRO labs e.t.c. will offer these positions. Need to apply via institutional advertisements using GATE scores.
• ME or MS(Master of Engineering or Master of science) Almost 85 % practical study and 15 % theoretical. He/she should require to submit a thesis and that may qualifies to PhD. They are meant to carryout research in industry or R&D organizations. Can avail very good positions in R&D ,Govt or private industries. A MS or ME holder have very high opportunities to carry out his/her PhD in world best isntitute.
JRF-Junior Research Fellow He She will be paid depends on GATE or R&D centers as per their norms Usually it’s a research position at a university or research institutions. He/she may work independently or under the supervision of principal Investigator. Carrying out research in reputed R&D organizations or Institutes, which may leads to PhD in good institutions of the world. Lots of organizations including IITs,NITs,ISRO,DRDO,BARC,CSIR state universities etc.. Will offer JRF
• New in GATE 2013 Organizing Institute-IIT Bombay. Female candidates are exempted from paying the application fee, as required by MHRD, Govt. of India. A new formula will be used for calculating the GATE score.
Biometric information (Photograph and fingerprint) maybe captured on the day of the examination for randomly selected candidates.• Some Important Dates- Last date for request of change of city- 20/11/2012. Availability of admit card-05/12/2012. GATE 2013 Online Examination-20/01/2013,Sunday. GATE 2013 Offline Exam -10/02/2013.Results announcement-15/03/2013.Note:No admit cards will send by mail or post.Admit cards can be only downloadable online from zonal website. Your zonal website is IISC bangalore.
• Exam format of GATE-2013 A paper based examination where the candidate will mark the correct answer out of four options in an Optical Response Sheet (ORS) by darkening the appropriate bubble with a black ink ballpoint pen. Things to be carried to exam center Black ink pen (No pencil – hence Be careful while bubbling the answer) Scientific Calculator without data connectivity is allowed. Valid (not expired) original(not Xerox etc) photo ID proof like DL,Passport,VoterID, College ID etc.
• Structure of GATE-2013 A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 22 papers listed in the table The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
• Pattern of Question paper Total Qusetions-65 Single paper Total marks-100 Question paper- has two sections. General aptitude. Specialization of the paper+mathematics. Paper has 4 different types of questions. 1)Multiple choice questions of 1 or 2 marks each, which has a 4 answers ,out of which one correct answer has to choose. 2) Common data questions( which are also multiple choice questions),where 2 successive questions use the same set of input data.
Linked answer questions-where the answer tothe first question in the pair is required to answer the 2nd numerical answer type questions, each question will have a number as the answer. Each GATE paper shall have a General Aptitude (Language and Analytical Skill) carrying 15 marks apart from the core subject of the paper.
• Design of Questions: Recall - obtain the answer either from his/her memory of the subject or at most from a one-line computation. Comprehension- test the candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field Application - apply his/her knowledge either through computation or by logical reasoning Analysis and Synthesis – these can be linked answer questions or common data questions
• Gate Results GATE 2013 results will be announced on March 15, 2013 at 10:00 hrs. at GATE offices of IISc and seven IITs and their websites. GATE 2013 score is valid for TWO YEARS from the date of announcement of the GATE 2013 results. There is no provision for regarding and retotalling. No photocopies of the machine-gradable Optical Response Sheets (ORS) will be made available. No correspondence in this regard will be entertained.
• Contact details• Zone-1 Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore 560 012 Phone : 080-2293 2392 Fax : 080-2360 1227 Email : email@example.com
Students have to apply to individual institutes and get application forms after the GATE results are out. Mtech. course admission details are advertised in leading newspapers from April 1 till July end. However, some institutes do not advertise and students should approach them directly for the forms. The concerned institute may conduct a written test and/or interview for admission. Students of M.Tech. are paid scholarships by the Government of India for the entire 24- months period.
• Gate score After the evaluation of the answers, the raw marks obtained by a candidate will be converted to a normalized GATE Score. From 2013, the GATE score will be computed by a new formula. After the declaration of the results, a GATE Scorecard will be issued to all the candidates of a paper. There is no provision for issue of additional GATE scorecards.
• After Exam,what next..? After declaration of GATE results, students must apply to individual institutes to get their application forms. Institutes advertise for the M.Tech. admissions in leading newspapers from 1st April till the end of July. However some institutes do not advertise and therefore students have to send request for the applications directly. Admission in the institute is based on GATE percentile. The concerned institute may conduct written test and/or interview for the purpose of admission. If your GATE score is 96 you can go for admission in NITs, Roorkie, BITS Pilani etc. If less than 85 you have to look for other appropriate institutes
• Few Suggestions for Studies Utilize your free hours for the preparation. Divide into groups and make sure to work out maximum questions during free time. Help each other with tough problems. Each one take up a part of the syllabus. Study those topics well and take a class for the rest. Maintain a common document where each person’s choice will be published and an efficient schedule can be prepared. Group work is always efficient and works. Make a habbit. Determination for success surely leads you to the success.
• Gate clearing which needs a smart + hard work and dedicated plan of course.• Hardly you have 4 month for Gate exam and this is more than sufficient.• So, Choose the subjects that highly important and your command over the subjects.• As for as my views, subjects that too important are, Control System. Signal and Systems. Network analysis. Logic design(Digital circuits) Electronic Devices Communication. Analog Circuit Mathematics. Never miss a single marks in Aptitude an English, its very important.
Have a look at table for the distribution of marks.Mathematics, Control systems, signals and systems,analog circuits, Network analysis e.t.c very important.
• Books that I prefer- Gate-Electronics and communications by R.K Knodia –Noida publications It’s a set of book including Mathematics and previous solved papers. Study the subjects that are too important and you are good in and preferably chapetewise and solve the chapterwise questions given in above said book. Stick to the only one convenient book . Some people use G.K publisher, but I feel, its format is not good for GATE and it has a lot of mistakes.
• Some preferred books for the study of concepts. ( It depends as your convenient). Network Analysis: Van Valkenburg Network and Systems: D. Roy Choudhary Integrated Electronics: Jacob Milman & C. Halkias, Millman & Grabel. Integrated Circuits: K.R. Botkar. Op. Amps & Linear Integrated Circuit: Gayakwad Digital Logic & Computer Design: Moris Mano Signals and System: Uday Kumar ,Ganesh rao Control System Engineering: Nagrath & Gopal or Ganesh Rao. Principle of Communication System: Taub & Schilling. Communication System: A. Bruu Carlson. Electromagnetic Waves : Mathew Sadiku,K D prasad.
• Some tips for Mathematics. Graduation level mathematic books are sufficient. Go through the Gate papers of 10-12 years, and note down the topics on which questions are appeared. Study on that and solve the questions. Usually topics will repeat but not questions .• Some tips for Aptitude. General aptitude by R S Agarwal or any Aptitude book is good enough. Go through the Go through the Gate papers of 10-12 years, and note down the topics on which questions are appeared. Study on that and solve the questions. Usually topics will repeat but not questions . Make a habit of discussing the aptitude questions in group.
• Make use of INTERNET Browse the net for Gate informations regarding how to crack,how to prepare, free mock test etc, Make use of portals which provide free mock test on subjects Which will helps you to understand yourself like,your understandings of subjects, time that you have taken, topics on which you are weak etc. All Gate coaching has their own website and make use of that. Few useful portal addresses are, http://www.engineersinstitute.com http://www.onlineies.com/ register in this n u can avail free mock test. http://www.inspirenignite.com/- Best for Gate information in all aspects but u may not get mock test in this as it is a discussion forum http://www.engineersinstitute.com/gate_2013_14_mock_test_series_el ectronics_engineering_ece.php-- for mock test. www.gatehelp.com http://gateforum.com/ http://www.onlineies.com/blog-ies-bangalore-gate-ies-jto-psus- coaching-center for few tips. These are few examples, you can get plenty in web. Just Google it.
• Above table clearly shows the importance of GATE.• In future we can predict that most PSUs ,R&D, and Central govt companies will hire through Gate exam.• I can assure you that, one who clears the gate, has good opportunities in higher study as well as jobs.
• Some statistics regarding Gate:Some specializations under ECE (May vary depends on college).1.Communication Systems. 2. VLSI / Micro Electronics.3.RF&Microwaves(online in few IITs n NITs). 4 .Electronic Design & Technology (Chip Design) 5. Digital Electronics 6. Systems & Signals 7. Computer Science, if interested. 8. Instrumentation & Controls 9. Interdisciplinary courses like Satellite Technology, Internet Science, Aerospace, Management and Industrial Engineering.
• Selection crietria1. Rank / Score category-wise obtained in GATE-20132. Percentage in B.Tech/ B.E.3. Written Test (Institutes)4. Interview. In Case of GATE Score : The GATE score is given 70% weight age and remaining 30% Weight age is for the written test / Interview. The exact ratio may differ so before you apply just verify once through official notification.ONLY GATE Score is required at IISC Bangalore, IIT Madras ,IIT Kharagpur, IIR Roorkee. IIT Delhi admits Through : 1. GATE Score ( Without Test / Interview : 75% marks or 8.5 CGPA ) 2. GATE Score (With Written Test / Interview: 60% marks or 6.75 CGP )
IIT Delhi GATE-2011 Cutoff For M.Tech Communication Engg. GEN: 810 OBC: 780 SC: 545 ST: 495 PH: 495 IIT Roorkee GATE-2011 Cutoff For M.Tech : 91.33(percentile IIT Roorkee GATE-2012 Cutoff For M.Tech : (67.00).http://www.engineersinstitute.com/M_Tech_Admission_in_Electronics_and_Communication_Engineering%20_2012-13_through_GATE_2012-13_score.php visit this for moreinformations.
• Finally few tips for answering questions. Never attempt un known questions. Don’t be hurry, read the questions carefully and answer. 50+ correct answers are sufficient. Attempt the known questions first then go for rest. Try to answer aptitude part fully. Don’t be tensed. Try your level best and hope for the best. Be focused and determined for success.
Remember, YOU ARE THE CREATOR OFYOUR OWN DESTINY. At the end ,when youlook back, you should feel great aboutyourself. Set the dreams and achieve it. Life ismeant for our dreams. Make it.I have given my best to make this document.Hope it will useful.All the best for your future. By, Bhaskara Naik S