Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
1% of your day to
change the other 99%
2
How does work make
you feel?
3
30%
47%
49%
52%
52%
55%
58%
70%
76%
Personal safety
Family health problems
Job stability
Personal health
Housing costs
R...
4
Stress at work is
an epidemic
5
$550B$300B $52B
The #1 Workplace Risk,
stress costs U.S. Businesses
$300B/year
Disengagement is a top
concern for CEOs a...
6
$250,000
Annual cost of workplace stress
per 100 people
7
Work and
Deadlines
Mortgage and
Money
Family, Kids,
Health and Food
What stresses us at work?
But we don’t give them
tools for healthy mental breaks
We give our employees healthy
food to snack on
Headspace is a meditation
company.
We create Media and
Technology to help
calm the mind.
How does Headspace make the
workplace happier?
12
Meditation pods
& spaces
Strategically
placed trash
No meetings
@ 10am & 3pm
A meditation company that meditates. Shock...
13
Founded by a
Buddhist Monk.
“Headspace is the happiest
office in the world.”
GQ Magazine
August, 2016
15
The happiest office in
the world, right?
16
Wrong.
Stress InsomniaAnger
We feel feelings.
18
Meditation isn’t
a cure-all.
Exercise doesn’t make
you strong.
Meditation doesn’t
stop stress.
Vegetables don’t make
you thin.
20
So, why meditate?
21
• Meditation creates larger hippocampal and
frontal volumes of gray matter 1
• Meditation strengthens the brain’s resti...
22
All it takes is ten
minutes per day.
22
But we make meditation a
part of our work day.
Like you, we get stressed
at Headspace.
24
Your employees deserve
a better break
24
25
650 hours of content for every part of your life
26
Because lots of things
make us stressed.
Not just our bosses.
26
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

1% of your day to change the other 99%

0 views

Published on

Progressive companies give their employees healthy foods to snack on, so why don't we also give employees healthy mental breaks? Dan Kessler from Headspace, the leading digital service for guided meditation sessions and mindfulness training, discusses stress in the workplace and how science shows us that meditation can help. Presented at Goal Summit 2017.

Published in: Leadership & Management
  • Be the first to comment

1% of your day to change the other 99%

  1. 1. 1% of your day to change the other 99%
  2. 2. 2 How does work make you feel?
  3. 3. 3 30% 47% 49% 52% 52% 55% 58% 70% 76% Personal safety Family health problems Job stability Personal health Housing costs Relationships Family responsibilities Work Money Top causes of stress for U.S. Adults...
  4. 4. 4 Stress at work is an epidemic
  5. 5. 5 $550B$300B $52B The #1 Workplace Risk, stress costs U.S. Businesses $300B/year Disengagement is a top concern for CEOs and costs $550B per year Depression costs U.S. Businesses $52B in Lost Productivity, Absenteeism Stress Depression Disengaged
  6. 6. 6 $250,000 Annual cost of workplace stress per 100 people
  7. 7. 7 Work and Deadlines Mortgage and Money Family, Kids, Health and Food What stresses us at work?
  8. 8. But we don’t give them tools for healthy mental breaks We give our employees healthy food to snack on
  9. 9. Headspace is a meditation company.
  10. 10. We create Media and Technology to help calm the mind.
  11. 11. How does Headspace make the workplace happier?
  12. 12. 12 Meditation pods & spaces Strategically placed trash No meetings @ 10am & 3pm A meditation company that meditates. Shocking.
  13. 13. 13 Founded by a Buddhist Monk.
  14. 14. “Headspace is the happiest office in the world.” GQ Magazine August, 2016
  15. 15. 15 The happiest office in the world, right?
  16. 16. 16 Wrong.
  17. 17. Stress InsomniaAnger We feel feelings.
  18. 18. 18 Meditation isn’t a cure-all.
  19. 19. Exercise doesn’t make you strong. Meditation doesn’t stop stress. Vegetables don’t make you thin.
  20. 20. 20 So, why meditate?
  21. 21. 21 • Meditation creates larger hippocampal and frontal volumes of gray matter 1 • Meditation strengthens the brain’s resting state to withstand stress 2 Meditation exercises your brain to better withstand stress. 1 2009,Dr. Arthur Toga, Department of Neurology,UCLA School of Medicine 2 2016,Dr. J. David Creswell, Biological Psychiatry, Vol 80, Issue 1, Carnegie Melon
  22. 22. 22 All it takes is ten minutes per day. 22
  23. 23. But we make meditation a part of our work day. Like you, we get stressed at Headspace.
  24. 24. 24 Your employees deserve a better break 24
  25. 25. 25 650 hours of content for every part of your life
  26. 26. 26 Because lots of things make us stressed. Not just our bosses. 26

×