Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Guest Lecture Online Persuasion for Master Persuasive Communication

2,147 views

Published on

This a guest lecture I gave at the University of Amsterdam, for the master Persuasive Communication. The aim was to show students how you can apply psychology and communication sciences to increase conversion rates.

In this lecture, I briefly explain the decision making framework (Kahneman, thinking fast, slow), and explain the Reflective Impulsive Model (Strack & Deutsch).

In the second part, I played a "which test won" game with the students. For each Persuaison AB-test I provided the psychological working mechanism of the persuasion technique used.

Published in: Technology
  • Be the first to comment

Guest Lecture Online Persuasion for Master Persuasive Communication

  1. 1. Guest Lecture Online Persuasion dr. Dirk Franssens BetterChange Guest lecture: Online Persuasion dr. Dirk Franssens
  2. 2. Index: 1. Short introduction 2. Little bit of theory 3. Which Test Won Quiz UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Index NEXT: SHORT INTRODUCTION
  3. 3. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Short introduction NEXT: MY WORK
  4. 4. MY FORMER COLLEAGUES
  5. 5. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens My work as of 1 march 2014 NEXT: WEBANALYTICS
  6. 6. Insert title UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Web analytics NEXT: PERSUASION
  7. 7. Insert title UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Persuasion NEXT: CLIENTS
  8. 8. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens My clients NEXT: DECISION MAKING
  9. 9. Two important facts about human decision making: 1. Rationality is bounded under conditions of uncertainty! UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Decision making NEXT: DECISION MAKING 80% chance to win €100 and 20% chance to win €10 €80 for sure √ Expected Utility: €82
  10. 10. Two important facts about human decision making: 2. Reference points are important! UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Decision making NEXT: DECISION MAKING Jack’s wealth is €1.000.000,- Jill’s wealth is €7.000.000,- Equal chance to end owing 1 or 4 million 2 million for sure OR
  11. 11. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Decision making NEXT: DECISION MAKING Uncertain condition: is this what I want / need? Reference point: €49,95 Conclusion: this €13,99 is a very good deal. I must buy!
  12. 12. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Decision making NEXT: EXAMPLES System 2  Slow  Requires attention  Reasoning  Effortful  Control (choice) 17 x 24 System 1  Fast  Automatic  Intuitive  Effortless  No control 2 + 2 Your customer’s brain
  13. 13. Decision making UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Example 1 NEXT: EXAMPLE 2 A bat and a ball together cost €1.10 The bat is €1.00 more expensive than the ball. How much is the ball?
  14. 14. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Example 2 NEXT: EXAMPLE 3 When it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 t-shirts. How long does it take 100 machines to make 100 t- shirt?
  15. 15. Are both tables of equal size? UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Example 3 NEXT: OVERVIEW
  16. 16. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Overview Decison Making NEXT: CONSUMER MODEL  €0,10  100 minutes.  A is longer  €0,05  5 minutes.  Equally long System 2 Answers System 1 Answers
  17. 17. Reflective Impulsive Model UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Consumer model NEXT: EXAMPLE Perceptio n Knowledge Strack, Werth, Deutsch, 2006 Reasoning Behavioral decision Behavioral schemata Behavior Associative store Intending Representations Spreading activation Spreading activation
  18. 18. Persuasive communication UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens My clients NEXT: WHICH TEST WON? 10% discount on cans of soup Version A: no limit per person Version B: limit of 12 cans per person Version A: average 3 cans sold Version B: average of 7 cans sold!
  19. 19. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Which Test Won? NEXT: QUESTION 1
  20. 20. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 1: Motivation NEXT: EXPLANATION Version A Version B Velen gingen je voor “In november werden 1.657 doorlopende krediet offertes a angevraagd bij MoneYou”.
  21. 21. Video: Social Proof in elevators! UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 1: Explanation NEXT: QUESTION 2
  22. 22. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 2: Attention & Perception NEXT: EXPLANATION Version A Version B
  23. 23. Attention: people scan and process faces. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 2: Explanation NEXT: QUESTION 3
  24. 24. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 3: Decision Making NEXT: EXPLANATION Version A Version B
  25. 25. Commitment and consistency in action UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 3: Explanation NEXT: QUESTION 4
  26. 26. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 4: Decision Making NEXT: EXPLANATION Version A Version B
  27. 27. Limited choice: offer minimum of two choices UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 4: Explanation NEXT: QUESTION 5
  28. 28. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 5: Decision Making NEXT: EXPLANATION Version A Version B
  29. 29. Mimicry: copy words and mannerisms UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Question 5: Explanation NEXT: QUESTIONS? OK, thanks. I’ll get your order asap. Average tip: €1,50 Average tip: €3,00 A burger with chips and that delicious mayonnaise!
  30. 30. UvA Guest lecture | Online Persuasion // dr. Dirk Franssens Questions? NEXT: THE END  DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
  31. 31. Dirk Franssens (dirk.franssens@betterchange.nl) Linkedin: /dirkfranssens Twitter: @dxfranssens Lecture Online Persuasion UvA Master Persuasive Communication February 2014

×