• St. Georges, once a thriving tourist
destination, has fallen into disrepair and
neglect due to a downturn in tourism, the
economic recession and a lack of planning
resulting in missed opportunities.
• St. Georges town has not evolved with a changing world. Still stuck
decades in the past, this lack of change has resulted in an exodus of local
business sector, a crumbling infrastructure, lack of buy-in by local
consumers. Due to this, St. Georges has failed to attract new
• St. Georges has received very little in the way of assistance from
Government in terms of economic revitalization; being completely over
looked for many projects which would benefit the town.
• Bermuda must maintain a reputation as a
fiscally prudent and financially sound
jurisdiction in order to remain attractive to
the international business community.
• St. Georges has fallen into disrepair due
to a lack of vision or plan on how to
revitalize the economy as well as incent
business’ to invest back into the town.
• Failing or below par infrastructure
• Fall out of tourism dollar, even during the recognized
• Many business have shut down or relocated, thus further
strangling St. Georges income.
• Criminal element has taken root, with many simple
crimes being ignored (Traffic for instance)
• Demoralized residents.
The Alliance believes there are several strategic objectives that
must be undertaken to revitalize St. Georges.
– Repair and upgrade the infrastructure
– Incent local business and I.B. to relocate in St. Georges
– Attract local consumers to spend money in St. Georges
– Redesign the town taking advantage of it’s close proximity to the water
and marketing it accordingly.
– Increase security throughout the town ensuring a feeling of safety.
– Increase transportation to, from and around St. Georges
– Create new lines of income
– Data/Voice lines upgrade
• Fiber ring?
– Adequate Cellular / Wireless coverage
– Adequate and stable power grid
– Water piping
• Include filling station for truckers
– Upgrade sewage facility
- Improved policing with a permanent presence of officers
- There is a solar powered wireless solution available on the market.
- Raised speed bumps with pedestrian lights on crosswalks
- St. Georges Rangers
- Establish neighborhood watches
- Establish town watch
• Incentives for new business to start in St. Georges
• Payroll tax break for the first year
• Startup loan with low interest, payback starting after first year in
• Decentralise Central Government to the East End to encourage new
private enterprise to service the Civil Service on a weekday
• EEZ Zone – Payroll tax break for all business
• Payroll tax break for all established hotels and guest houses
• Providing that funds be applied to upgrade and modernizing.
- Examine solutions for Causeway bridge, elimination
mechanical solution, while increasing it’s strength
- Examine an alternative to the causeway (I.e. Coney
Island/Ferry Reach – draw bridge?)
- Make Ferry service more reliable and available
- Bring in ferry via ferry reach instead of going around.
- Make St. Georges a hub instead of a destination
- Create water taxi stand
- Airport, Southside, Tuckers point
• Locate smaller ships for berth in St. Georges
• Create a first class marina for:
• Fishing tournaments
• Mega Yachts
• Long term sailboat travelers
• Public Access berths for locals
• Local rental
• Hire a P/R firm to improve market nights
• Work with land tour guides for improved and more
• Sedgeway Tours
• Horse and Carriage
• Nature Tours (Coopers Island)
• Scuba / Snorkeling tours around Fort St. Catherine
• Create an international event revolving around World
Heritage Status (Working with other World Heritages
• Incent local fishermen to buy into St. Georges tourism
product to be run from Marina.
• St. Georges based deep sea fishing
• Inner water fishing (Opens market for smaller boats)
• Work with a developer to create a business complex at
various locations (I.E. Tiger bay)
• Incent I.B. to relocate to St. Georges
• Create a service brochure for all St. Georges business
and market appropriately.
• Create a boardwalk from the ferry terminal stretching
along the entire waterfront.
• Stagger store hours, opening later conveniencing
• Incent high end stores catering to Tuckers Point and Tuckers
Town residents (I.e. Meat/Seafood market)
• Harness renewable energy to power St. Georges, thus creating
excellent P/R world wide for a heritage site.
• Take advantage of St. George’s location to the water and
develop water themed activities.
• Develop a reward/incentive program for locals to purchase in St.
• Dine Around Card
• Local night with percentage discount for Bermudians
• While St. George’s is a far cry from the town it
once was, it is salvageable if action is take
• St. George’s must take advantage of it’s
natural resources and focus on local
consumers. Creating opportunities for new
business increases revenue for the town.
• The Bermuda Government must allow
concessions so that the town will attract
• St. Georges must shake it’s mentality of being
a one trick pony.