CalCentral Product Mgr
Designing for the customer experience
Discussion / critique
New portal solution (my project)
Aging “onboarding” solution
Campus IT moving to ITIL service
Student Information System (SIS)
replacement project starting soon
- Experience Mapping
- Service Blueprints
ITIL Service Management
Perspectives Research Questions
❏ Student satisfaction?
❏ Gaps or unmet needs?
❏ Service “hot spots”?
❏ Improvement opportunities?
❏ Functional requirements?
❏ Interfaces / integration requirements?
❏ Replacement options?
Functional Ownership ❏ Will Admissions continue to be the functional owner?
❏ Who owns the overall “student experience”?
❏ How can we extended to include the 4-year experience?
● 15 x student
● Functional map
Share interview data
Build the Map
● Post-it notes
● Map - doing,
thinking & feeling
● Gaps and needs?
● “Hot Spots” -
map with “Hot
Emotional “Hot Spots”
● Receiving their Acceptance
● Securing Housing
● Understanding Financial Aid
● Confusion about the Spring Admit
and Summer Bridge programs
● Attending CalSO orientation and the
Class Enrollment process
● Making friends and finding community
A useful method for:
● Learning about and looking “horizontally”
● Learning from colleagues
● Problem-solving across units
● Doing a qualitative exploration of
● Extrapolating some quantitative data
● Many opportunities to clarify programs, set better
expectations, explain options, etc.
● Make sure required vs. optional tasks are clearly
● Integrate with Housing system, currently a link
● Get the “what” but need to know more about “how”
● More personalized help with escalation support
● Financial literacy training
● More communications on how it works and how to pay
CalSO and Class Enrollment
● More time for class planning and to get questions
● Major mapping, students want to plan for multiple
● 1:1 person to connect with to help navigate campus
● myBerkeleyApp continues to function well and
is valued by newly admitted students
● No gaps or unmet service needs were found
● myBerkeleyApp helps to orchestrate numerous
onboarding services but only a handful of these
were referenced in students interviews as “hot
● A number of onboarding opportunities were
identified to improve student experiences