A high-value, low-cost marketing tool for Financial Advisers
By Ben Hucker
What is a White Paper?
• They are valuable, authoritative, information documents on
important issues relating to financial advice
• They help clients understand complex issues in personal finance
• They establish you as a thought-leader and help build trust with new
• MOST IMPORTANT: They are more likely to be read by prospects than
a website, brochure or even a press release
Why are they so effective?
• They educate prospects and clients without selling
• They help clients assess your approach to financial advice
• The give prospects peace of mind on important issues
• They help drive targeted leads and the RIGHT clients
• They help address the need for holistic advice
Why are they great for lead generation?
• Using an offer of a White Paper has the following benefits as a lead-generation
tool for financial advisors:
• It’s not pushy – it’s offering something of VALUE. Information. Free of charge
• It’s non-threatening - instead of having to speak to an advisor upfront, the prospect is simply
going to receive a valuable report on relevant topic.
• It meets emotional as well as rational needs – e.g. Fear (of choosing the wrong advisor),
Kudos (sharing NEW knowledge with family & friends), path of least resistance (research all in
• Once written, it is incredibly low cost and can be used in campaigns over and over (you could
end up using the same White Paper, e.g. a Retirement Guide, for more than 10 years)
How do they compare?
• A sales brochure is a sales brochure, is a sales brochure
• Depending on the industry, websites can be interesting, and so can case
• But White Papers are so much ‘MEATIER’ with more salience
• Your prospect gets a view on a different world, IMMERSED in a financial
issue that is important to them
• They have a long shelf-life and can be used year after year
Know your objective
• Remember, in the ‘high-value’ financial advice industry, the objective
is getting prospects to identify themselves
• You can be more aggressive once prospects are identified
• BONUS: Offer downloads of White Papers from the front page of your
website and collect email subscribers while building authority
Do they work in B2C environment?
• White papers 10-14 pages long WORK
• Even White Papers of 20-24 pages have been shown to generate
• Difference? B2C White Papers use strong calls to action (CTAs) after
problem and solution are covered
*Research from ThoughtfulMinds.Org
Do we need a White Paper?
• Here are 3 Simple Questions that can tell you that answer:
• Are you selling something new?
• Something complex?
• Something expensive?
• Use a White Paper to generate leads, stand out from the competition,
nurture a prospect through a long sales-cycle, or help secure new
Who am I?
• Ben Hucker - Freelance writer for 7 years now
• Worked in financial services for 12 years prior:
• ANZ Investment Bank
• Australian Stock Report
• Occam Asset Management
• IFM Investors
• Wholesale Investor
• Leyland Private Asset Management
• BCom and Post Grad in Applied Finance
Samples of my work
• Head to:
• The portfolio page (link below) on my website for a range of examples
• What’s next?
• Strategy call with Ben to discuss if White Papers are a good fit for your clients
A high-value, low-cost marketing tool for Financial Advisers.
By Ben Hucker