Be the first to like this
Kyeni Consolata Hospital: located near Embu, it comprises as well 15 dispensaries in remote areas, Fidenza Nursing School (aprox 100 students) & a mortuary. It has been transformed from a hospital in a very bad condition, with an average of 47 patients to the reference hospital in the Region, self sustainable, with more than 80% of patients insured by NHIF, and an average of 160 patients/day plus the outpatients. They have started to build a new outpatient block & a new theatre to increase capacity and services offered.
• Accounting & Administration: set up a network of computers in the Hospital, created cost accounting & reporting system with Quickbooks, payroll in Access, Budget templates, Banks & petty cash control, Stock control and inventories.
• Procedures: Patient´s Records and Registry, Cleaning & Maintenance, Guidelines & Procedure for Kitchen, Statistics filling procedure, Payroll procedure, Budget process, Bad Debt Control, Pharmacy, negotiation of new conditions with banks, Garbage & Disposal of Clinic Waste procedure, specific Nursing Care procedures.
• NHIF: qualified for maximum rebate. Kyeni is the hospital of Eastern Province that reports more NHIF insured patients.
• Staff: 40 job descriptions done, defined Mission and objectives, many meetings to improve communication & engagement, implemented Performance Appraisal Procedure and a new Bonus Scheme, appointed Supervisors per function and different committees: Marketing, Kitchen, Maintenance, Nursing Care, continuous training program.
• Management: we have built a very strong & committed team, all major decisions are shared, truly leaders of the hospital, continuous improvement focus.
• Dr. Maina, the hospital´s MOC came to Spain to network with Doctors and get to know at first hand how Spanish hospitals are managed.
• Enhancements in the Hospital´s facilities: built new toilets in every ward, tiled all floors and painted all walls, finished mortuary, drying area for clothes, new entrance gate, cover shelter and widen paths to connect the wards, built swings for children, got generator & different donations of material and equipment, new pits and incinerator, water pump, laboratory & physiotherapy equipment, sound system to connect patients with nurses, and wards with chapel, TV on every room.
• Several fundraising initiatives, networking with donors that granted the hospital with medical equipment & supplies.
• Communications: internet connection.
• Solar panels & put gutters and built water tanks to harvest & storage rain.
• Agriculture & livestock project: self sufficient in several crops, make own compost, seeds & nursery plants, start drip irrigation, green housing.
• Quality Program: Quality checklists in place, Time Service Charter, Maintenance checklist.
• Actions for the community: organized several outreach activities, medical camps, trainings and talks on health issues, solar cooking seminars and workshops.