2. Carolyn Thomas, a 34-year-old former track star was shot in the face by an abusive ex-boyfriend who also killed her mother. She wears a mask-like bandage to protect her from infection and the stares of those who are unknowing of her experiences.
3. This is an undated photo of Carolyn Thomas before her face was destroyed in a shooting.
5. With Stan and Jan to keep her company, Carolyn must constantly remind herself to stay upbeat. "I'm alive for a reason. I don't question God," she says.
6. Passing an unidentified shopper at Wal-Mart, Carolyn Thomas heads down the aisles quickly to avoid the stares of those who are unfamiliar with the tragedy of her past.
7. Adjusting her trachea tube, Carolyn Thomas cleans it constantly in order to breathe comfortably and to talk.
8. This photo shows Janice Reeves, Carolyn Thomas' mother, who was shot dead by her daughter's boyfriend in 2003.
9. Carolyn Thomas reacts as prosecutor Crawford Long displays a .44 Magnum for her to identify during the trial of Terrence Kelly in Waco in April 2005. Terrence used the gun to shoot Thomas in the face.
10. Terrence Kelly leaves court April 15, 2005, in Waco. He was convicted of shooting Carolyn Thomas in the face and killing her mother in 2003. He is serving a life sentence.