“I’m a very big believer in equal opportunity as opposedto equal outcome. Equal opportunity to me, more thananything, means a great education. Maybe even moreimportant than a great family life. We could make surethat every young child in this country got a greateducation. We fall far short of that.” – Steve JobsInclusive Education leads to Empowerment
• Students with Disabilities find it a challenge toget access to education because of:– Lack of Physical Infrastructure– Inaccessible ICT and lack of Assistive Technology– Lack of Books and Learning Material in AlternateFormats such as• Braille• Large Print• Digital Talking books (Daisy)– Inadequate Support Services like• Sign Language InterpretersProblem faced by Students with Disabilities
• Universities under the University GrantCommission are provided Access under theHigher Education for Persons with DisabilitiesScheme (HEPSN) to:– Component 1 - Establish an Enabling Unit forstudents with disabilities– Component 2 - Providing Access to Persons withDisabilities– Component 3 - Providing Special Equipment toaugment Education Services for Persons withDisabilitiesWhat can Universities do under the UGC?
• Universities need to:– Holistically approach the needs of students withdisabilities– Look at their policies and procedures and adaptthem to be inclusive– Procure Services whether for building infrastructureor technology keeping in mind Accessibility– Provide Support Services to students based on theirneedsHow can Universities Implement– A Recommendation
• Website of the University provide information like:– Course Information– Admission Formalities– Course Content– Exams and Results Information– Online CoursesSolution: Ensure that the website of the University isaccessible as per Web Content Accessibility Guideline(WCAG) 2.0. To know more:http://barrierbreak.com/accessibility-services/education-website/How can ICT be used to achieve Inclusion?
• Setup Assistive Technology Resource Centers:– Provide Assessment of the Needs of Students– Provide Assistive Technology that the student can use or lendwhen they come to the Resource Center. To access a list ofassistive technology for different disabilities, check:http://barrierbreak.com/assistive-technology.html– Provide training and support for using the assistivetechnology– Integrate the use of assistive technology in the classroom– Make the Library disabled friendly by providing assistivetechnology. To know more: http://barrierbreak.com/about-barrierbreak/press-releases/inclusive-libraries-a-step-towards-making-libraries-disabled-friendlyHow can ICT be used to achieve Inclusion?
• Provide Support Services for Students– Convert Books and Learning Content in AccessibleFormats like:• Braille• Large Print• Digital Talking Book (Daisy)To know more: http://barrierbreak.com/accessibility-services/digital-talking-book-conversion/– Providing Reading Services– Provide Sign Language Interpreter Services– Providing Internships and Job PlacementsHow can ICT be used to achieve Inclusion?
UGC – HEPSN Scheme http://www.ugc.ac.in/oldpdf/xiplanpdf/universitesdevelopmentassitenceoctober.pdfAccessible & Inclusive Website as perWCAG 2.0http://nios.ac.inDeveloping Accessible Websites http://barrierbreak.com/accessibility-services/education-website/List of Assistive Technology http://barrierbreak.com/assistive-technology.htmlConverting Books into Braille, LargePrint or Digital Talking Book (Daisy)http://barrierbreak.com/accessibility-services/digital-talking-book-conversion/Inclusive Libraries – Making DisabledFriendlyhttp://barrierbreak.com/about-barrierbreak/press-releases/inclusive-libraries-a-step-towards-making-libraries-disabled-friendlyUsing Assistive Technology in theClassroomhttp://barrierbreak.com/resources/bridging-the-distance-issue-of-viewing-the-blackboard-a-classroom-solution-for-the-low-visionReferences
• Website: www.barrierbreak.com• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org• Call us at: +91-22-26860485/6/7/9• Follow us on Twitter athttps://twitter.com/barrierbreak• Join our Facebook Group:http://www.facebook.com/groups/109891065731480/?fref=tsNeed Help with this: