Social Media 101 to 201: Getting Started & Maintaining
Social Media 101 to 201
with Alyson Joyce
• Social/Influence Marketing @Engauge
• Otherwise known as “Alyson from Nutrish”
• Prior, Social and PR @Mullen
• Pittsburgh, PA
• I LOVE my job
For Tweeting along: @MrsAlysonJoyce #barkworld
1. How people engage on Twitter
2. How YOU should engage with people on Twitter
3. How people engage on Pinterest
4. How YOU should engage with people on Pinterest
How do people engage on Twitter?
• The Basics:
• User Handle
• Direct Messages
• Using “Retweet” increases the “retweet
rate” 23 times
• Using “RT” increases the “Retweet rate” 10
• Why are consumers on Twitter?
• Customer Service
• Interacting with celebrities/brands/blogs that
How Brands/Influencers should Engage on Twitter
• Define your roles and goals as a brand or
• Who are you? Define your brand/blog
voice and tone.
• What do you want your fans to learn
from your content?
• Is there a specific action you want to
• Develop a content strategy, based on your
knowledge & interactions of your fan base
• What is a content strategy?
• Monitor fan responses to content to
optimize what you are tweeting
Has a cat
• Tweet Often
• 3-5 times per day
• Tweet during the daytime
• Tweets between 8am-7pm see 30%
increase in engagement rate
• Keep it short and sweet
• Tweets less than 100 characters see an
increase in engagement of 17%
• Focus on two-way communication using
@replies and mentions
Create your network
• Identify who you want to associate with:
• Participate in Twitter chats that interest you (#petchat)
• Follow lists that pertain to the subject matter you blog about
• Utilize hashtags that fit within your brand/blog personality
• Utilize proactive searches to see who is talking about your brand/blog
• Retweet the content of those who you admire/want to be known to
• Cross-promotion across other owned presences/Twitter friends
How do people engage on Pinterest?
• The Basics:
• User Pages
• Ways to organize content
• Follow brand and/or boards
• Repins, likes and comments
• Why are consumers on Pinterest?
• Inspiration for the important elements of their life
• Example: their pets, weddings, food and recipes
How should brands/influencers engage on Pinterest?
• Define your roles and goals as a page.
• Be sure your boards match your content strategy
• You CAN’T just post puppies
• Why are you posting that content on your page
• How does it connect back to your brand?
• Balance the ratio of pins and repins
Driving Engagement on Pinterest
• Drive followers to web properties
• Use the “source” designation to send people
to your online properties
• Identify key influencers whose content makes
sense for your boards/content strategy for
repinning and following
• Interact with pins that relate to your content
• Search for pins from your website
• Search for other pins that relate to your
• Several ways to use a promotion to drive engagement
• Pin it to Win it
• Harder to track
• Pin from a Facebook app
• Requires lots of dev and sometimes a vendor
• Make your own themed board
• Asks a lot of a consumer
• Promotion can’t survive on Pinterest alone
• Plan for an e-blast, paid advertising, etc.