Step-By-Step Instructions to Record and Save a 10-Minute Narrated
PowerPoint Ignite Presentation as a mp4 Video File in Zoom
Barbara O’Neill, Ph.D., CFP®, AFC®, CPFEE
Owner/CEO, Money Talk, https://www.moneytalkbmo.com/
Note: These instructions were intentionally developed to create a video by using two monitors and may need to
be tweaked otherwise.
1. Prepare your PowerPoint content. Keep slides simple. Then insert slide timings to add up to 10 minutes.
For example, 40 slides @ 15 seconds or 20 slides @ 30 seconds or 10 slides @ 60 seconds = 10 minutes.
PowerPoint Slideshow Steps:
Slide Show tab—Click “Set up Slide Show”-- Click on “Use Timings, if present”
Transitions tab—Click “After” and type the number of seconds that you want into the timing box (e.g.,
00:00:30 for 30 seconds)
Click “Apply to All” to move through every slide at the designated number of seconds
You will then see the number of seconds in the bottom right corner of each slide in Slide Sorter view
2. Log into Zoom with your e-mail address and password. Click on “New Meeting”
3. Click on “Join with Computer Audio”
4. Have your PowerPoint presentation (with timings added) all ready to go in Slider Sorter View on Monitor 1
5. Click on “Record” on your Zoom screen and then “Record on this Computer” (or “Record to the Cloud”)
6. Then quickly click “Share Screen” and Screen 2 (monitor hooked up to laptop)
7. Then quickly put your slides into Slide Show view and start delivering your presentation. Your slides will
show on the full screen of Monitor 2 and a small video of the presenter will show on Monitor 1.
8. When done, you will see this pop-up message: “the file will be converted to mp4 when the meeting ends”
9. Click “End” to end the Zoom meeting and the file will start converting. If you don’t like your recording and
want to record a “do-over,” you can click “Stop Converting” and then start over to record a new video.
10. Once a file converts, you will see a cone-like icon for the saved file. Change the filename as desired.
11. Save the mp4 file in a non-Zoom folder where you can find it easily on your computer.
12. Use a file transfer program to transfer the mp4 file to others or create a digital link for the video by
uploading it to a web site such as YouTube or Vimeo.